Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greedyhands

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Atlanta
Hi, I know this is a pretty elementary question, but this is my first time using a dual monitor setup. What I would like to do is be able to browse on one monitor while watching video files full screen on another monitor. Is this possible? If so what do I need to do to make it so the smaller monitor doesn't go black once I enter full screen on the larger monitor?

Thanks in advance.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You can try using MPlayer OSX, but I think this is a system-wide fullscreen behavior.

Nothing stopping you from stretching to almost fullscreen though ;)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Hi, I know this is a pretty elementary question, but this is my first time using a dual monitor setup. What I would like to do is be able to browse on one monitor while watching video files full screen on another monitor. Is this possible? If so what do I need to do to make it so the smaller monitor doesn't go black once I enter full screen on the larger monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Go into VLC's preferences and change it's setup to reflect how you'd like it to react. Don't worry about messing it up, there's a reset all option, though you might need to click on advance first.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
In VLC, go to preferences, video playback. Choose one of the monitors for full screen, then take off the selection for black bars.

Watching a movie now while on the internet, full screen on the second monitor.

Arfus

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
In VLC, go to preferences, video playback. Choose one of the monitors for full screen, then take off the selection for black bars.

Any wy to hide the dock and finder? Cause when i click on my seoncd mnitor the damn thing at top the menu and the dam ndock is displaying.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Any wy to hide the dock and finder? Cause when i click on my seoncd mnitor the damn thing at top the menu and the dam ndock is displaying.
This is a question which monitor is seen as the primary monitor by your Mac Pro. Just swap the monitors to get the big screen free for the video.

WillSR20

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
I found this thread while watching alien on a projector and having my MBP screen black out.

The latest version of VLC has a check box under preferences->video to black all screens or only the full-screen. Just thought I would add an update for others with this issue.

tanker5

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
Hopefully this will be fixed in 10.9

Lack of dual monitor full screen app support is one of the biggest complaints about 10.7/10.8 ever since full screen apps were introduced in 10.7. It is widely speculated that 10.9 may address the issue. With WWDC only a few weeks away, hopefully we'll see a fix real soon.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Lack of dual monitor full screen app support is one of the biggest complaints about 10.7/10.8 ever since full screen apps were introduced in 10.7. It is widely speculated that 10.9 may address the issue. With WWDC only a few weeks away, hopefully we'll see a fix real soon.

What do you mean? How does it currently behave? What's the problem? I ask because I went to a single monitor prior to installing 10.7.x and may yet go back to dual.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
What do you mean? How does it currently behave? What's the problem? I ask because I went to a single monitor prior to installing 10.7.x and may yet go back to dual.

Most applications, when using the native OS implementation of Full Screen, paints the linen backdrop on the entire secondary monitor rendering it useless for other activities.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013

I know it's 4 years later, but this was helpful to me.

Laz423

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
VLC with Dual Monitors

In VLC preferences, turn off "Use the native fullscreen control". Now you will not have the action bar in full screen mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.