Dual Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuttermonster, Feb 19, 2013.

1. shuttermonster macrumors newbie

Hey community, this is my first post-- so please be gentle!! :p

I'm trying to connect an older "Optiquest Q7b" monitor up to my Macbook Pro (Mid-2010 model). I went to my local Best Buy and purchased a Mini Display Port to VGA adapter, and I know for a fact the monitor still works (I just tested it on my parents old Windows XP).

I connected it together, and though my macbook does "detect" the monitor, there's currently no Input signal on my second monitor. I tried changing the resolutions and refresh rates around to see if it makes a difference-- but nothing. My mouse will even disappear off the desktop if I move it over to the other monitor, but still-- no picture.

Any suggestions?

2. shuttermonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't! I guess it's important to note that I "actually" bought a mini display port to DVI cord-- but I have a VGA to DVI adapter in between the two.

I downloaded it anyways to see if this would solve it, but it didn't detect a mini-display port to VGA adapter-- probably because of the above stated reason.

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Bummer. Maybe the Mini Display Port to VGA cable (instead of using the DVI cable + adapter) would actually work, but that may not be cost effective, if it would even work at all.

Maybe you can try the cable and return it if it doesn't work (although I'd check with Apple to make sure they'd refund your money in that event, though). Good luck in any event

4. shuttermonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, buddy-- I did exactly what you said as a last resort. And the freaking thing works now! I guess the Mini Dport to DVI cable wasn't communicating well with my little adapter.

Thanks a million!

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's more likely that your adapter isn't compatible.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Nice, glad to hear :)

7. shuttermonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, yeah that's what I meant-- but it came out the wrong way haha.