Dual monitor issues with Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mckamey, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mckamey, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

mckamey macrumors newbie

mckamey

I'm having trouble getting my dual external monitors working with Mac OS X Lion on a MBP.

Previously with Snow Leopard I used Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition without any troubles. It combines the two external 24-inch LCDs into a single 3840x1200 external display. This worked great (other than the occasional odd full screen app).

Today I upgraded to Lion and now it treats the DualHead2Go box as a single 1600x1200 LCD which gets mirrored to both LCDs. This means I lost most of my screen real estate.

Is anyone using this configuration with Lion? Have you found a workaround? This is a major issue for my workflow and I'm hoping to not have to downgrade back to Snow Leopard.

TIA,
    smm

2. mckamey, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

mckamey thread starter macrumors newbie

mckamey

Update: It appears that the latest Matrox PowerDesk (v1.03.00.004) has resolved the issue for me. I actually never needed the control panel before. Snow Leopard just saw it as a single gigantic monitor.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/software/?os=17&product=91

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Good to hear it was a simple fix. I am using a double display setup and things are working properly. No Matrox adapter here, though.

4. mengchong macrumors newbie

Dual monitor issues with Lion

I'm having trouble getting my dual external monitors to work with the Matrox Dualhead2go DP edition. Updated the firmware and power desk to the latest edition but when I select "Change Display Settings" it keeps prompting to "Check Cable Connections"!

Currently both monitors are mirrored and at 640x480! :( Previously in Snow Leopard everything was going great.

Trawl the Net but not found any solution to my problem. Dropped an email to both my local supplier and Matrox tech, hopefully they get back to me asap with a solution.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Please help! Thanks!

MBP 15 inch Mid 2010
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

5. mckamey thread starter macrumors newbie

mckamey

I actually chose to not upgrade my firmware because the downloadable version had an older "Mode table version" than what mine was reporting and I didn't know what the consequences would be. I did update the control panel though.

Here is the version I see on GXM Control Panel:

GXM product: DuelHead2Go DP Edition
    Mode table version: 10.16
    Firmware version: 1.0.38
    VPP version: 8
    Here is the response that I got from Matrox:

Typical response from a driver vendor.

6. mengchong macrumors newbie

Re: Dual Monitor issues with Lion

Hi mckamey aka Stephen

Thanks for the response! Fortunately the wait wasn't extensive. Matrox recently just release a new version of Matrox PowerDesk (1.03.01.005) and Firmware (1.0.152). In fact their download site now differentiates between Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion.

Have fun! :)

Cheerio
    Meng-Chong

7. mckamey thread starter macrumors newbie

mckamey

Excellent. Thanks Meng-Chong for the update.

Here's the link for others:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/gxm/drivers/