Dual monitor login issue!

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by App1eG33k, Oct 17, 2014.

1. App1eG33k macrumors newbie

Hey

I've got dual monitors - please see below for your information

Left side: NEC MultiSync LCD 2080UX+ (Standing as portrait mode)

Right side: Apple Cinema Display 30" (standing as landscape mode)

why do I get starup/login on the left side monitor and NOT in right monitor?

Right now I'm using Yosemite however before it work just fine on Mavericks osx by showing login on the right side.

:rolleyes:

2. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Yep I know exactly what your talking about.

I have my MacBook Pro connected to my Cinema Display, and I've made the Cinema Display the main screen through System Preferences. After a full shutdown and turn on, the log in screen comes up on my MacBook Pro instead of my Cinema Display :(

Does anyone have a solution for this?

3. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

4. App1eG33k thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still surprise nobody rise issue for the Yosemite beta tester?

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Similar set up to you, but a 24" ACD is the main display on the right. The login dialog always shows up on the ACD, like it should. :confused:

6. deze, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

deze macrumors member

deze

Yes, I have a 30" cinema display (dual DVI) as my primary (left) and a cintiq 21ux (mini display port) as my secondary (right) and the login screen always chooses the cintiq even when its switched off.
    Annoying, Hopefully it will get sorted in an update.

Tried switching the menu bar back and forth in sys prefs/display arrangement to see if it initialised anything... No change.

I'm thinking yosemite prefers the display port over the older DVI???

7. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have experienced this issue, too. I have two monitors, both connected via Mini Displayport --> Displayport cables. Left one in portrait (Dell), center one in landscape (NEC).

If I am just regular booting, I notice the Dell always responds (lights up) first, and the Apple logo appears there (sideways, since it is in portrait mode).

I believe at that point the boot loading process is simply using the first detected monitor in its normal state (IOW, the OS has not yet told that Dell to operate in portrait mode). Once the boot process hands off to the operating system, the Dell goes black and the NEC pops up first, with the Dell following now in the correct portrait mode.

The amusing thing is I have several drives connected that can boot (in a Thunderbolt array), and if I hold down the Option key to boot, all the choices of boot drives appear sideways on the Dell, since the Option boot is still in that early stage of the boot loading process. I have to turn my head sideways and tab between them to pick one to boot.

My thought is it is the monitor being electrically detected first that handles the early stages of the boot loading process. Does all that make any sense? BTW, I am still on Mavericks on that machine, so this behavior is not unique to Yosemite.

8. icerabbit macrumors member

I have a similar dual screen issue.
    24" primary which I've had for a long time. Plugged in a 19" as secondary in portrait mode to read/review letter sized documents while doing typing or data entry on the primary screen. (rather than using two machines side by side)
    Arranged properly in preferences.
    One reboot later, seems the small screen became the primary and the location of my screens in preferences did a left-right switcheroo?!

Al kinds of weirdness too, if I make preview full screen on the small secondary to get a maximum sized PDF preview; then when I go to my browser or text editor on the primary ... whatever I had on the secondary disappears?!

Did Apple really think, that when I want something maximized on one screen, when I start using the second one, I want the other to go blank?!