dual monitor + Mid 2010 mac pro pattern configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by whiskey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. whiskey macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect two Dell u2711 monitors to my 5770 video card.

On the apple site it mentions that I should connect via the following pattern

MD MD Dual Link Dvi
    use md to dvi adapter Leave alone Connect to display

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279

I've tried that combination and have restarted my computer a few times, but it hasn't worked yet.

The u2711 supports hdmi, and I was thinking of getting the following cable from monoprice

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1024603&p_id=5995&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Would getting two of those work?

Any help would be great! its hard to work from one monitor when you are used to two :D

Thanks

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Those monitors support display port so just buy a couple MiniDP to DP cable from CircuitAssembly and plug the monitors directly into the graphics card. don't get monoprice cables because Dell monitors can be annoyingly picky about cables and the monoprice ones are known to not work so well.

3. whiskey thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks! I'll try it and keep in mind about monprice.

4. whiskey thread starter macrumors member

So it turns out that I needed to update from 10.6.3 to 10.6.6 to have the second monitor show up.

Now the issue is that the monitor connected to the dvi port has the proper resolution, but the monitor connected to the mini display port via the md to dvi is running at a lower resolution.

Anyone experience the same thing? any help?

5. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

Sounds like you're not using an active Mini-DP - Dual Link DVI cable. - You need it for anything over a 1920x1200 res.

Buy the Mini-DP > DP cable as the other poster suggested.

6. whiskey thread starter macrumors member

Oh! gotcha, I totally misread Vylen's post!

Thanks, will do that tomorrow.