Dual monitor problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by falterego, Jan 29, 2009.

1. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I have a client with a fairly basic Mac Pro setup. He has the standard ATI 2600 graphics card connected to two 26 inch Samsung LCDs. The main monitor is ok, but the secondary monitor has about one inch of the far right side that does not work. The desktop area itself is squished in, and not chopped off.

So far we have replaced the monitor with another, he has about a dozen at his disposal, we have replaced the VGA cable, and we have switched ports on the video card and re arranged the screen locations in system preferences. No matter what configuration we use, the screen on the right has it's image squished and makes many things look distorted.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue, and what they've done to resolve it. We've contacted Apple care and they originally blamed the monitor, which is why we replaced the screen completely. At some point in the next couple weeks we may have a chance to bring the system to the Apple store, but then we'd need two monitors to demonstrate the problem.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Are the resolutions both set to the same setting? I'm not sure what the max resolution output for that graphics card is, but perhaps you're reaching it.

3. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

I would guess bad graphics card,

I have a HD 2600 XT running a 30" and 20" (apple cinemas) and never had a problem,

I am pushing 5860000 pixels compared to 4608000 pixels that your two are pushing if you want to look at it that way.

4. falterego thread starter macrumors 6502

falterego

Both screens are running the same resolution. Its the max resolution that is available for the card, and both monitors support the resolution and beyond. I'm going to have him schedule an appointment with the genius bar to get it taken care of.