Dual Monitor problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OldManJimbo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I have an older MacBook (model 2,1). I run dual monitors all the time - the laptop screen and a flatscreen. No problems - works fine.

I do a ton of presentations for clients - using their projectors - and until two weeks ago have had ZERO problems.

BUT something has happened -- no matter what model of projector is used, it has become impossible to use the projector as the 2nd monitor. The monitor display preferences recognizes the projector as a 2nd monitor, but the projectors don't recognize the signal - "no signal."

It has worked perfectly fine for years and now it doesn't. I use Lion 10.7.4

It's just strange that the monitor on my desk works fine, and projectors USED to work fine, but no longer.

Any ideas ?? Is there a way to check my video card?

2. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Try to clean install Lion, might be a software issue or try to use the projector with another Mac.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

HackerWayne - thanks for the ideas. We've tried other laptops - PC and Mac - and they all work. Haven't done the fresh install, yet.

4. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Update - more info, more questions

Upon extended research -

Both projectors that failed to recognize the MacBook signal were older (8-10 years) projectors.

I run at he highest resolution settings possible, and both projectors were connected through LONG remote cables - rather than the typical tabletop cable set-up.

So - could the projector's inability to recognize the signal be a combination of the long cable length AND the higher resolution setting?

I am going to go back and experiment with one of the projectors to see if using a lower resolution setting makes a difference.