Dual Monitor Purchasing Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bigjay33, Feb 20, 2010.

1. bigjay33 macrumors newbie

I am looking at adding a secondary monitor to my 24 inch iMac. Not sure what specific features are really important. I see specs for contract ratio, response time, lcd vs led. What do you look for in purchasing a monitor and what features are most important for video editing. I would like to get something in the 23-24 inch range. Any help on specs and brands that you like would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

video editing doesn't require anything special as far as computer monitors... dell lcds are pretty popular since they have a pretty good price/quality ratio.

3. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

If you care about matching style or matching closest color representation to your iMac, I'd get the Apple 24 inch. It'll match with your iMac and the video should look identical.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you're editing video, something reasonably color accurate is recommended. The  monitor will be fairly good for that and idiot-proof to use with your machine, though far more expensive than other options. Other good choices include the Dell U2410, the NEC EA231WMi, and the HP LP2475w.

I suggest steering away from the temptingly cheap monitors, as they use inferior TN panels. The best value for money is the NEC EA231WMi or the Dell Ultrasharp 2209VA. Don't buy anything cheaper than those.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

No computer monitor will accurately represent color/gamma within a NLE... that's why anyone that is doing color correction or needs to critically judge color/video quality must attach a broadcast monitor to FCP.

6. bigjay33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies. I will look into those suggestions you have all mentioned.

7. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Cheap TN panels are more than fine for video editing since you just put bins and other windows on them.

Color accuracy DOES NOT matter at all, since you are working in a different color space after all, and since you'll just be using it for the timeline/bins. If you're looking to accurately monitor your video, you'll need an MXO or an AJA IoHD.

I use have two cheap Acer TN panels hooked up to my Mac Pro and a Dell panel hooked up to an MXO2 for monitoring, looks fine.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Not necessarily true, given that most consumer HD video being shot these days is in sRGB. I think you two are giving him much higher level advice than is helpful to him. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like he's at the broadcast monitor level, or about to buy an MXO2.

That said, It's also a good idea to calibrate your displays, if possible.

9. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Adapter Needed to Add a Second Monitor to iMacs

First - what model iMac do you have?
    Remember, you'll need an adapter to add a second monitor:
    http://j.mp/ak2T06

10. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Is it?

I agree that often the advice peddled on forums is too rigid — as if there's only one way of doing things. A broadcast monitor and I/O may be overkill for what the OP has planned.

Bigjay33, what are you going to use the monitor for and what are you expecting to get out of it? By that I mean are you going to use it as more real estate for bins, or are you intending to use it for Cinema Desktop Preview or for colour grading? And are you intending to use it for anything besides editing? And where is the video you're editing going to end up?

11. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Strudel,

I know he's not looking for a broadcast monitor, but the point i was trying to make was nothing matters because the footage on the LCD panel is going to be a mile off than what is displayed on a TV. That's all.

12. bigjay33 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mainly use Final Cut and Motion for my work. I also use photoshop. I don't use a lot of Apple Color to be honest but might in the future.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It boils down to this, bigjay33. If you are looking for an computer monitor so you have more desktop space just pick a nice computer monitor as the specs don't really matter. One of my monitors is a Dell 2408 and I mainly picked it for all the various inputs it has. Or since you do photoshop work find a computer monitor that has good image accuracy for work like that, but when it comes to video editing don't look at a computer monitor as anything other than what displays the GUI.

If you are looking for another monitor to use to actually judge the quality of your video you'll need to buy a Matrox MXO ($999) and a broadcast monitor ($2.5k or so one the low end). At the very least buy a nice consumer HDTV (one where you have lots of control over image calibration and can turn off the factory default settings). It won't be accurate but it will be less inaccurate than using a computer monitor hooked up via DVI.

Lethal