Dual monitor questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wang259, Oct 11, 2007.

1. wang259 macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I just bought a 32" westinghouse tv which I hooked up through DVI/HDMI to my macbook pro. I am new to running dual monitors so I have a few questions:

1. Is there any way to change my desktop background for just one of my monitors? Right now I can only seem to have the same background for both

2. When I run VLC to watch a movie and I hit fullscreen mode, it runs the fullscreen mode on my macbook monitor, even when the vlc window is on my tv monitor. Is there any way to change it so it runs fullscreen on my tv monitor?

3. Most people are getting resolutsons of 1360 x 768 on their TV's but i only get 1280 x 720. Do I need to update my video drivers or something?

Thanks a lot in advance

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

1. I think you have to have the same desktop background, but I could be wrong.

2. In VLC, choose the Video menue -> Video Device -> Screen 2

3. The resolution of the TV depends on the individual TV max resolution. It is possible yours only goes that high. Your manual should tell you the resolution of the TV, if not, post the exact model number here and someone may be able to figure it out for you.

3. wang259 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply
    the vlc problem is now fixed!
    hopefully someone can help me with the other two. My tv model is the Westinghouse LTV-32W6.

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

According to westinghouse website, the pc input only supports sxga which is 1280x1024 and if you have the 15" it looks like the graphics card does not support 1280X1024 only the 17" inch

5. Iced Angel macrumors regular

let me ask my question in this thread :

Before I took my baby (mbp) to apple store to replace the yellowish screen that I had, it hooked up perfectly with my Samsung LCD. Yesterday I tried to hook it up again but it seems like on the Samsung screen the green channel is all the way up :d
    the whole screen is greenish !! it's like in Photoshop you increase the saturation toward green :confused: is the macbook pro or the LCD or the DVI adaptor ? :(

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

1. If you are using Mirroring instead of Spanning mode for dual monitors, then you can only have one background. Otherwise, when you cntl-click the desktop and click "change desktop background" a window should pop-up in both monitors, allowing you to select an individual image for both.

2. Under Displays in System Prefs, select arrangement, then click on the thin white strip on the icon of your mac desktop, which represents the menubar, and drag it to the Westinghouse desktop icon. Now it will be your main monitor, and full-screen videos should snap to it instead.

7. Iced Angel macrumors regular

8. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

9. Iced Angel macrumors regular

I think it's not a hardware problem :confused: maybe it's color profile, and I tried tons of color profile but still the whole screen is green :mad:
    take a look at this:

Attached Files:

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Ice Angel: Most likely that problem is a bad cable or (hopefully not) connector. Try wiggling the cable around, particularly the ends, if it ever flashes another color or the correct color, then you know your problem is the connection.

11. Iced Angel macrumors regular

I tried that ... it's more likely is the connector I guess :( can I still take it to the genius bar? do they replace the DVI adapter?