dual monitor resolution problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PDOT, Feb 24, 2015.

1. PDOT macrumors newbie

I have a problem regarding my 2 monitors, they have different resolution, one is 1920 x 1080 while the other one is 1280 x 1024, I am using two Samsung 2333HD. any solution how to make them both 1920 x 1080? I really need them to be 1920 x 1080 because the 2nd monitor is giving wrong dimension to my projects. I already checked the samsung website and the apple website for this but gone nothing.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How do you have the monitors connected?
    Does the monitor that is showing at 1280 x 1024 appear as the same type of monitor in your Displays pref pane?
    Both displays should be set as Default for Display, and not Scaled.
    However, if you change the "incorrect" display to Scaled, what other optional resolutions appear?

If you switch the video connections between the displays, does the SAME display still allow only 1280 x 1024?

3. PDOT thread starter macrumors newbie

the first monitor is in HDMI to DVI adaptor connection going to my monitor.
    while the second one is in thunderbolt to VGA adaptor.

the second monitor,1280 x 1024 is on scaled because when "best for display" has chosen it gives 800 x 600 resolution

am I missing something? does VGA works in 1920 x 1080?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you open the Display pref pane, you SHOULD get a Displays pane in each display.
    The name of the window SHOULD reflect the name of the display (something like Samsung 2333HD)
    Do BOTH windows show the same name? I bet the one connected through VGA just gives a generic name, like Display ...

Yes, VGA SHOULD work at 1920 x 1080 (assuming your cable is good, which I doubt :D )
    I am using the same mini as yours.
    I first used HDMI to VGA. The display worked at 1920x1080, but did not talk to the computer properly - display sleep, for example, just didn't work.
    I switched to HDMI to DVI, and display has all functions, and the screen is noticeably sharper. Expected, because VGA is analog, and the DVI is a digital signal. Seems likely that your VGA cable is not providing what it should.
    Change your VGA connection to something else. Mini DisplayPort to DVI would be a great choice.