Dual Monitor Set Up

funter

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I have just bought a 27 inch IMac and I would like to use my early 2008 IMac as a second monitor so that when I am working in Logic, for example, that I can move the mixing desk on to the other IMac. What sort of cable would I use to link them?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I have just bought a 27 inch IMac and I would like to use my early 2008 IMac as a second monitor so that when I am working in Logic, for example, that I can move the mixing desk on to the other IMac. What sort of cable would I use to link them?
The only solution is to use ScreenRecycler (Google it) however I believe you will be pretty disappointed in the performance. A 2008 simply does not have the ability to be used when connected via any cables, it simply is too old.

Sorry to provide you with an answer you don't want but those are the facts.

funter

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
I went into an Apple store yesterday and I was told a mini display port to mini display port cable would work - is this correct?

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, that could work - if your 2008 iMac had a mini DisplayPort. However, your information was inaccurate.
Your early 2008 iMac does not have a mini DisplayPort. That didn't appear on an iMac until 2009. The 2008 model has a Mini DVI connector, not the same at all.

funter

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
OK yes you are right. I've been given some bad advice by Apple. Thanks for clearing that up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.