Dual monitor set-up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by naturallight, Apr 24, 2007.

1. naturallight macrumors member

Hi, I'm considering getting a MB and had a few questions about a dual monitor set-up.

1.) First, I believe I can use a DVI or VGA adapter to connect another monitor to the laptop, so I could run a dual screen (ie 19" external widescreen and 13.3" MB screen at the same time). It also seems like I could run just the 19" (so the MB lid would be closed). Please correct me if either of these assumptions are incorrect.

2.) If I have both screens running at the same time, does the resolution on each screen have to be the same? So would the 19" run at the same resolution as the MB? That would not be ideal, because presumably the 19" screen will have much higher resolution than the MB. Hopefully this question makes sense.

3.) Is DVI or VGA better? Is one more common than another? Also, should I get the adapter through Apple, or would a 3rd party vendor be better?

4.) Finally, will the adapter work with any type of screen (ie Dell, Sony), or just with an Apple screen?

Thanks! Any other comments or tips would be much appreciated.

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

1). No, you're right. You can run both

2). The resolution for each monitor can be different. Irun my mbp at 1440 X 900 and by 24 inch dell at 1200 by 1900

3). Dvi is better, and it's best to get the mini-dvi to dvi connector from apple.

4). Yes, the adaptor will work on any screen

You're welcome.

3. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Yea you can run a MB with an external monitor, and the lid closed.

4. naturallight thread starter macrumors member

5. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

the mini-dvi to dvi adaptor will work with any screen with a dvi port. some monitors (its uncommon, but not unheard of) are only vga capable (these tend to be lower quality).

secondly, just to clear up the difference between VGA/DVI/HDMI/ADC

VGA- refers to an analog video connector. analog=lossy image quality=not good.

DVI- digital and widespread. carries all video in one cable. since it is digital, the signal does not lose quality. very nice.

HDMI- next-gen home theater connector, I believe it transfers both video and audio. it too, is digital. not really found a whole lot on computers/computer displays.

ADC (Apple Display Connector)- basically like DVI, except that instead of just carrying video, it also carries power and usb. unfortunately, the one bad thing going for it is that only apple ever really used it in any of their devices, while the other three are basically cross-platform.