Dual monitor setup for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Igotmacqs, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Igotmacqs macrumors member

I am looking at my 24 inch LED and wondering how one might configure a dual monitor setup with two of these. The single cable is too short for any arrangement but CPU directly behind the monitors. Not enough length to get both to the floor under my desk or with the CPU to the side of one. Apple says they do not have an extension. Any thoughts?

2. KelchM macrumors regular

EDIT: It occurred to me what you could to do. Unfortunately it is going to be fairly expensive.

For each monitor you want to extend you will need a mini displayport (male) to displayport (female) adapter and also a a displayport (female) to mini displayport (female). Run whatever length displayport cable you want in between.

Edit2: Saddly there is no such thing as a mini displayport to displayport adapter yet.

Like I said originally, it MAY be possible to pass the signal over a DVI cable (again, using an adapter on each end of the cable).

3. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

how long is the cable for a 24 in led ACD?

4. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

3 feet 3 inches from the rear access cable hole which is centerred. The monitor is 2 feet wide. So the span for side by side monitors is unworkable, even if no gap was left between the two monitors and the CPU was pressed up to the side of one, as the cable still needs to make it to the port. Plus, having tightly stretched horizontal cables and crammed together components is not really Mac style :)

I called Apple this morning and sales confirmed the problem, but had no solution for me, although a second 24 inch is an option on the Apple site.

5. KelchM macrumors regular

Thats pretty ridiculous that the cable is that short. There really is no way to run two of them without some add on.

I've heard the cable on the 24" monitor is actually removable, so maybe apple has a longer cable in the works?

6. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

The power cord is removeable, but the 3-in-one appears to be fixed.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the 24 was likely designed only for use with the Macbook pro's, and that other options will follow for the Mac Pros, etc. The idea of an unused, dangling mag safe power cord for each monitor, and tightly stretched, too-short cables for dual monitors are not consistant with the clean, well conceived and integrated Mac Ethos. I would have liked to get three 24's, but for now I can not see how to logically do two. Additionally, three cards seemed a bit silly to run three monitors. Apple really needs to clean up the card/monitor situation promptly. I am a buyer as soon as I can resolve this.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I was at the apple store earlier today investigating the length of the 24" LED display cable and although we couldn't measure it due to the way it was routed behind the display table, I would have estimated it to be about 5' long. Where did you hear 3.25'?

8. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

btw cant u put the mac pro under the desk and make it work? I also would think the cables are longer....

9. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

I have one attached to my brand spankin' new Macbook Pro 17. The monitor is outstanding, but the cable is silly short.

One yes, but two, even if you had desk holes directly beneath each monitor and wanted your CPU centerred (where your feet should be) it would not work on a full height desk (maybe on a low desk-but...).

The cables are two ;) short.

10. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

damn in the long run i wanted to get 2 24in's gotta see how thats gonna work out when i get my 1

11. dimme macrumors 65816

I think Apple has another loser on it's hands with their mini display port. This is the third "mac monitor" connector. What are they thinking. I truly doubt other will adopt it.

12. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

asked on apple chat in their store .. yea its a lil over 3 feet that sucks ...

and dimme i believe that display port is NOT an apple exclusive port but the next port for the computer industry as a whole just apple has adopted it well before it was widely used ... guess only time will see though

13. dimme macrumors 65816

Yes there is Displayport which is the standard. and the Mini DisplayPort is a miniaturized version of the DisplayPort used by Apple.

14. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

...all of which leads me to believe that this was not an intended match for the MacPro. Apple likely has some 30 ACD's that they need to move along (the intro of the new Mac Pro's is likely a great vehicle for moving those), before they can add on additional (more suitable) monitors.

By the way, the 24 LED is in my estimation exceptional, and I would not hesitate to add two more should they be equipped with alternate cables. Also, please Apple, if it is to be mini display ports, please offer us a card option with two of those.

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

This is typical Apple... trying to drive a new standard well before it's time, combined with a proprietary connector... what a mess! What was wrong with the mini-DVI connector they introduced on the first MacBook Air? At least with the supplied adaptor you could connect it to anything under the sun. Now you've got a killer display that can only connect to a handful of devices that are within a few feet of it... laughable.

Also, do you think ATI or Nvidia want's to develop a card that supports this connector standard just for the niche market that is Mac Pro users (what is that 0.1% of the computer market)? If I were ATI or Nvidia, I'd say "show me the money" and in-turn, Apple's going to force that cost onto us.

16. Igotmacqs thread starter macrumors member

I am a big fan of the connector (the smallest functional unit is great by me) so long as it reaches the port :D. I would even be fine with an extension if available. I was told that I could splice something together, and that, however, was a no-go. Right now the only available Apple choices for dual monitors are the aged 30's or an old 30/new 24 combo. Will you guys please buy up the rest of those 30's so I can order my new system :eek:

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

18. Nyan macrumors member

is there an adapter for the LED Display for the Mac Pro?

19. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

You don't need an adapter as long as you have a graphics card that has a mini display port on it (like the Nvidia GT120 or the ATI Radeon 4870). Otherwise, there are no adapters that work.

20. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have one of the 24" LED Displays to use with my laptop's. Out of curiosity I measured the cable on it. 44" from the back of the display to the end of the cable. I decided to hold off on buying any more of them, until the cable issue is solved.

I hope when Apple upgrades the 30" it will have more than just the MiniDisplay Port connection.