Dual monitor setup vs. iMac 24in

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zarusoba, Jun 27, 2009.

1. zarusoba macrumors 6502

I have a 20in Intel iMac and I'm looking for a more accurate display that won't cost a fortune.

I could add a Dell Ultrasharp 22in quite cheaply, or I could replace the 20in iMac with a 24in model.

Will a dual monitor setup slow me down? I've got 4GB of RAM.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Powering two displays is the job of the graphics card. As long as you don't want to run two heavy 3D applications on both displays you should be fine in adding the Dell.

3. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. The most demanding thing I run is Maya.

4. Dan48p macrumors newbie

hi i am new here, but i have a "dell ultrasharp" 22 in. 2207wfp to be exact. if this is the monitor you are planning to use as a more accurate display, you may be dissapointed. this monitor was great for me as i primarily use text and the occasional quake game and do no work where i need accurate color, but there is an obvious lack of image quality between this monitor and the 17" monitor that came with my inspiron desktop.

compared to a 24" 2408wfp or the 30" cinema display this monitor does not compare. but then again i paid 200 for mine as opposed to $600 - $2000.

i'm not complaining about the 2207wfp, but i wouldn't call it "accurate" just big.

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

It will be fine. I run a game on Windows 7 and use the Mac OS at the same time and things run very well on both screens.

I wouldn't try re-encoding a DVD and some other programme though. That takes too long.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

An extra monitor, in and of itself, won't slow you down. The extra applications you'll be running simultaneously with others may or may not be an issue, but if you're already running Maya with no trouble you should be fine with the extra screen.

7. websiteslate macrumors newbie

8. zarusoba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. This one is called 2209a. Do you know if your Dell is an IPS or TN type?

9. Dan48p macrumors newbie

i'm pretty sure its a TN but i'm not completely sure. i'm not even sure what that means, but i gathered this assumption from other forums.