Dual monitor support MacBook Pro 17 (mid-2010 model)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm, Jul 8, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Can I have two monitors on my MacBook Pro 17 with the GeForce GT 330M graphics card?

I have two HP LP2475W 1920x1200 screens that I would like to use with my MBP. Is this possible? Or do I need to buy the new MBPs with Thunderbolt?

2. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

You should be able to run two with that graphics card. You will need to buy some kind of USB - HDMI adapter though.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any idea as to what kind I can buy? Or where to look?

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anybody?

What about the new MBPs with Thunderbolt? How would I hook up two monitors with Thunderbolt?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Matrox dualhead2go would probably work for you. You can also get a dual link cable that uses both a USB and the MDP to do so. I'm not too sure on which exact cable you'd need, but there's no need to buy a new computer when a simple cable will fix things for you.

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read the Matrox solution is extremely slow and not worth buying. I read this on MR and on other websites.

It is amazing that Apple doesn't have a better solution for two monitors...

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

8. blackbinary macrumors member

You can use the MDP for one monitor and the USB for the other as some has suggested.

Be aware that the USB driven screen will be very slow. It will be fine for things like webpages, but videos or games are a no-go.

As far as thunderbolt goes, the technology is there to daisy chain two monitors no problem, it's just a matter of waiting for thunderbolt displays to hit the market.