dual monitors and expose

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Jun 29, 2009.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

i have decided to hook my pc monitor up to my macbook on a semi permanent basis since all i use my pc for is holding and managing my music collection and remote desktopping works fine there.. it's pretty neat.
    the big problem, though, it that in expose you can't drag windows from monitor to monitor like you can with spaces.. i know spaces is a bit underdeveloped but that seems like a pretty obvious thing for people using dual monitors.. is there any workaround for that, or any tips for using dual monitors?
    my buddy is also suggesting XDMCP which might be cool, too.

2. drossad macrumors regular

Not sure what you mean? Could you explain a little more?

I am able to drag windows from monitor to monitor and space to space in expose.

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

i mean in expose i cannot drag windows from monitor to monitor.. which would be very helpful to be able to do. (i can drag them from space to space, but each space contains its own version of each monitor. i can also drag them from monitor to monitor but it's much more difficult to manage without expose)

4. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

yes you can, hit f8 and you can do it very easily

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You cannot move applications in exposé, period. It is an application selector / activator, nothing more.

Try, on a single monitor, activating exposé and attempting to drag a window to somewhere else in your desktop space. Can't do it can you?

Pretty much, this is not the purpose of exposé. Either exposé it, select the window you want to move, click it, then move it once exposé has de-activated, or simply use spaces to do it.

Oh, and what exactly do you mean by spaces being "under-developed"? Personally it works excellently for what I use it for....

6. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

you can use expose within spaces and move windows that way

7. drossad macrumors regular

Exactly.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Exactly. WITHIN SPACES. Spaces is a window management software. Exposé is not. The only reason you can move applications while both are activated is because of Spaces.

9. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

:confused:

10. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Compelling argument :p

To put it another way, Exposé is only a fancy and good-looking way of SELECTING an application. I am saying Exposé does not MANAGE windows, in that you cannot move them around, etc, as you can in spaces or when neither are activated. Think of Exposé as a glorified Cmd+Tab, I guess.

Lol this has certainly veered off topic :D Moral of the story: no, OP, you cannot move around windows within Exposé. It would be a nice feature, yes, but right now that is not how things work.

11. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

yeah.. it definitely would be cool. it just seemed like an obvious thing to me, but i guess not to everybody. i'm coping, though. lol.