Dual Monitors inconsistent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guitarplaya08, Aug 26, 2008.

1. guitarplaya08 macrumors newbie

hello. i have a macbook pro with a widescreen 19' monitor. sometimes when i close the lid of the macbook pro the monitor shuts down too.

other times i'll close the lid and the monitor will keep the computer running with the lid shut and just mirror what should be on the notebook.

how do i control this? usually when i close the lid i'd like the computer to sleep, but other times i like having the lid shut and the computer still running.

thanks for your help!!

2. skir0987 macrumors regular

Do you have any USB or Bluetooth devices connected to the computer? If you don't, the computer and monitor should go to sleep every time. However, if you do, after the computer and monitor go to sleep you can either plug a USB device in or just hit a button on a USB mouse or keyboard (with the lid of the computer still shut). That will trigger "clamshell" mode, which is useful when using the computer as a desktop.

-Shep

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You cannot control the same action in multiple ways, per se, but you can define which "mode" it's in immediately after power on and right after wake up.If you want it to sleep apon close, either allow the mbp to fire the external LCD when starting up by hitting the power button and closing the screen, reopening after you have logged in, or you can wake from sleep with the lid closed using a Bluetooth or USB keyboard and mouse.

The magnetic sensor in the display hinge and release area controls the sleep response which u cannot change without third party utilities. That said, to my knowledge there is no purposeful way to fully power down the internal display and switch to external as primary . Don't let idiots tell you to put the internal lcd to the lowest brightness because that is not the same thing.

4. skir0987 macrumors regular

As I said above, there is a way. Just plug in an external USB device (like a mouse, keyboard) and do something with it to trigger a response from the computer (like typing or clicking)

-Shep

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Heh.

Edited after you quoted.

6. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

Download InsomniaX.
    I use it everytime I hook up my MacBook to my television.