Dual monitors on a Late 2012 Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mcsolas, Jan 28, 2015.

1. mcsolas macrumors regular

I have a Mac mini (Late 2012), Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB, 16mb ram.

Right now only one monitor via HDMI to HDMI which displays at 1920 x 1080

The Thunderbolt port is open. I have purchased the LG 25UM65-P. It is supposed to have a display of 2560 x 1080. This sounds like its within the specs the mini graphics can handle for the 2nd monitor. I found these specs in this thread:
    The monitor says that its mac compatible. I am just wondering what type of converter is suggested. Here are the connector types that it states the monitor has: DVI-D: 1 / HDMI™: 2 / Display Port: 1

From what I understand, the HDMI connector tops out at 1920x1080 so that one is out. How can I do this? From my best guess, I think I need a Thunderbolt to DVI-D conntector. Please let me know what you think.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am currently contemplating buying the mentioned screen and I tested it in 3 different electronic stores.
    Only one of them got it to work via hdmi. :confused:

I recommend going to an electronic store and trying out your desired setup before purchase.

3. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

I already have it. The mini and the monitor are in different locations at the moment. If it doesn't work with the mini I will use it for something else.

I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. At the least, I guess thats where I am going to start. I was starting to read I may want to use a different port for better resolution. What other connectors did you try?

4. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

tb-->hdmi
    Tb--> dvi
    Hdmi

It seems to be hit and miss.

6. mcsolas, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. I think I found the converter I need on Amazon - here

It mentions being compatible with the mini and has this in the description: "Transmits both audio and video from computer or tablet to HD monitor display; Supports 4K (3840x2160) Ultra HD resolution..."

Looks good. Going to order this adapter and give it a shot.

edit - Does anybody have experience with this specific (Thunderbolt -> DisplayPort) connection from a late 2012 mac mini to this type of monitor?

7. illusionx macrumors 6502

Your monitor have a display port. Just get a TB to DP adapter or cable.
    I use a mini-DP cable to DP on my mini/MBP.

8. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for posting this. I realize that I don't need two items, but rather the mini-DP to DP cable. I just found this one on Amazon that looks like the ticket. I am going to check locally now before ordering this cable. Thanks again for the help!