Dual monitors on macbook aluminium

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moneymaster, Feb 2, 2010.

1. moneymaster macrumors newbie

What device can I use to use 2 x 24" monitors for my 13" macbook aluminium unibody? I tried the DualHead2Go but that was poorly designed and could not handle max resolution of my monitors.

Here is the one I have tried before: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QRTHX8/ref=oss_product

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Assuming those 24" monitors have a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, then you would have to power the internal resolution of the MacBook of 1280 x 800 plus the two monitors which add up to 3840 x 1200.

In the end that would be 1024000 pixel (13") + 4608000 pixel (2 x 24").
    The nVidia 9400M can only support an external resolution of 2560 x 1600 (30" display - 4096000 pixel).

So you demand to get an extra 512000 pixel out of that card.

And the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go are the only solutions I know of.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Matrox devices are separate graphics cards, hence it does not matter what the source graphics card is capable of.

However, considering that the OP has a MacBook and therefore no ExpressCard slot, the Matrox is the only suitable solution to drive more than a single display.
    Another option would be an external USB graphics adapter but honestly, these things suck! Definitely not recommended for 24" displays.

4. moneymaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not going to use the 13" monitor with it, just the 2 x 24"

So the Matrox is the only way to go? :(

5. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

You could use a USB graphics card. It can now support higher resolutions. Check on monoprice. They have their own brand for around $50. I use it and YES there is lag. The drivers are still beta for SL, and they have HORRIBLE customer support in their forums so nobody knows when a newer driver will be released. The adapter is good if you just want to display some static information (Pages, Internet, Twitter, Email etc). If you're going to be dragging windows around a lot, then the lag will get to you. I hope displaylink updates their drivers soon! I use mine with a 22" samsung.

6. moneymaster thread starter macrumors newbie