Dual monitors on MBP with DP/Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J273, Mar 27, 2011.

1. J273 macrumors regular

As anyone found or know of an adapter in the works to allow me to run dual 30" monitors from the new thunderbolt port.

I know its possible but does anyone know if theres a product being made to allow this now thunderbolts been out for a little while?

Thanks

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there are no products currently available that allows you to run several monitors form the single port.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Are you trying to run them as two separate displays or as a combined secondary display with extended horizontal pixel realty?

As far as I know, MBPs can only drive one external display, even the TB ones. I think this issue has much less to do with TB than it does with the graphics card inside the machine. The card is the limiting factor and if you want to drive a second external display, you'll need an external graphics card which currently interface with your Mac via USB. However, those cards are often times too slow, necessitating the need for the faster TB interface.

Also, while the TB standard has been in R&D for sometime under the codename Light Peak, TB was just opened to the CEM market and everyone is just starting to figure out how to incorporate the tech into their products, such as RAIDs, displays, etc. I'd expect external graphics cards with TB support to come out making their appearance in Q3 of this calendar year.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Two monitors with 2560x1600 @60Hz would require a bandwidth of 17.5Gb/s, which is more than what Thunderbolt can offer (10Gb/s).

6. simsaladimbamba

Where or how did you get the number?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8. simsaladimbamba

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

except thunderbolt offers two bidirectional 10GBit/s channels totaling a combined bandwidth of 20GBit/s in each direction at the same time.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't use the PCIe channel for video, at least not without an external GPU. Thunderbolt uses DisplayPort 1.1a, which cannot provide the bandwidth required by two 2560x1600 monitors.

11. cube macrumors G5

Thunderbolt crippled the MBP. The graphics in the MBP support DisplayPort 1.2, but TB is too slow.