Dual Monitors on MP1,1 & 5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kunia, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kunia macrumors regular

I need a bit of insight as to how to maximize the performance (and if there is any) with dual display setups on both my MP1,1 and 5,1.

First off, MP 5,1.
    Currently I'm running a 30" ACD off a DVI and 23" of a MDP to DVI on a 5870. The 30" is my main work display - the 23" is pretty much running trivial things, like browsers, finder, iTunes, etc. Since VRAM is being split between the two displays, would I benefit from installing a second video card to just run the 23" monitor and dedicate the 5870 to just run the 30" ACD? If yes, what should I use? I have an old 7300, but If there's anything better out there that's non cable powered, I'll get it. Also, there are times (rarely) when I need to run Windows 7-64bit to do some 3d CAD work - would having video cards from different vendors (hence different drivers) cause W7 to go nuts (conflicts, etc)? I can live with just the 30" on W7.
    In short, I want to get get the most out of 5870 and 30" ACD while not running into conflicts under OS X by introducing another video card.

Second, MP 1,1.
    It's windows 7 64-bit machine only. I have OS X installed, but since I use it for work I never boot into it. It's running a 27" display (1920x1200) on DVI and 23" (1680X1050) on MDP to DVI adapter. Again, the bigger display is my work area, and the smaller one runs browsers, outlook, etc. I do 3d CAD work, so more VRAM I dedicate to my main display, better it is. So back to my original question...what are my options? I do have that 7300 hanging around, but, again, I'm not so thrilled on mixing video card vendors and drivers. Should I just get some sort of low grade Windows based ATI Radeon card (don't care much of OS X on that machine).

I'd appreciate some insights.
    thanks,
    adrian

2. Beutelkatze macrumors newbie

1,1:

Windows has no problems with mixed cards.
    I`m running a 5870 to power my main display (1920x1080) and the 7300 runs 2 15" @ 1024x768 (since they only display browsers, tool paletts etc.)