Dual monitors setup question?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 88 King, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

This is my 1st time using dual monitors in OSX, so I'm not sure how to solve a simple problem.

I have the monitors in extended mode, so I can have apps on both screen. The problem is I have 3 virtual desktops setup in Mission control. When I move to a different desktop on the imac, the 2nd monitor also moves to the new desktop, so I lose what ever is displayed on the 2nd monitor.

I'd like to have the 2nd monitor locked down and only move between desktops on the main screen. Can somebody please help me on how to achieve this.

I'm running Lion 10.7.2 by the way.

2. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

You can't do this, and never could even in Snow Leopard. They all move as one. Though some people have thought this would be a nice solution to the full screen problem with multiple monitors.

3. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

Thanks for the reply, there is also a problem with the 2nd monitor don't enter sleep mode when the imac screen is turned off.

I think I'll keep a single monitor setup for the imac, and use the other monitor for my laptop.

4. WSR macrumors regular

I don't know if this will help, in Snow Leopard it is possible to set an app to be in all spaces. I get the feeling this isn't possible in Lion, but I thought I would throw it out there in case anyone knows how to do this in Lion.

Also, how is your monitor connected? I have a TV connected as my second monitor using its VGA port and it goes into standby mode when my IMac's either goes to sleep or its main display is in standby made. While a different TV I'm using the HDMI port and it doesn't. I've never taken the time to see if it is the TV or the port that makes the difference. So if you are connecting with a HDMI port and your monitor has a VGA port you might want to try it, but I can't guarantee this will work.

5. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

This is possible in Lion, you have to do it thought the Dock. Right/Secondary click on the icon, Options, and under Assign To choose All Desktops.

6. WSR macrumors regular

That's good to here.

Also, I did try connecting my Visio TV up to the computer using the VGA port instead of the HDMI port. It now goes into standby mode with the computer. Thus, the connection port can make a difference.