dual monitors stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sloweyrm, Jun 9, 2008.

1. sloweyrm macrumors newbie

I had my G4 desktop all set up with two monitors (Both Dell 17" LCD's). All was working just fine for several months. Then, for some unknown reason, when I booted up one day, only one monitor came on, the OS started booting up really slow, and so I thought one of the vid cards was sick. So I tried using only one monitor and vid card combination, the computer booted up fine on one monitor. Aha, I thought, then I tried booting up with the other monitor and vid card combination, and it also booted up just fine. Thinking the problem was transient, I connected both monitors and tried booting up. The computer booted up really slow, with only one monitor working, with total boot time over an hour, the monitor showing only the lowest resolution and I was not able to go to system prefs and initialize dual monitors. I did a hard drive repair, no help.

Any ideas what's going on here?

2. designer22 macrumors member

I had a similar issue with my dual Viewsonic monitors a while back, although the boot time wasn't affected. After extensive investigation, it was determined that the monitors needed to be set from the default state of "auto sync" (where it looks to see if the signal from the video card is either digital or analog) to the digital setting. This was done through the monitor's on-screen menu settings. Once the monitors were set to digital only, I have had no further issues.

3. sloweyrm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I may have hit one of the monitor set-up buttons while I was cleaning behind it. You may be exactly right. I will check that. Thanks again.