Dual monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yanksrox94, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Yanksrox94 macrumors newbie

hey guys quick question here. Is it possible to run dual monitors in clamshell mode on my mbp with an hdmi splitter. For instance id use something like the moshi display port to hdmi< hdmi cable to splitter< splitter hooked up to my 2 hdmi monitors. Would this be possible if i set up my mbp on arranged displays instead of mirroring? Thanks for the help!

2. Yanksrox94 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. defektion macrumors regular

It's not going to work. I've never tested your idea but I've researched all over forums for dual monitor options for MBP.

You're better off waiting for USB 3.0 Display Link Support for OSX.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. Yanksrox94 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Birdmagnus macrumors member

Thunderbolt

7. Yanksrox94 thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like a dumb a**. I can do it over that with tb by using a displayport to hdmi. But it seems its not possible to run the display port and split the hdmi coming from that to the 2 monitors

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You wouldn't really be using TB if you are using a DP adapter.
    Are you sure HDMI has the bandwidth to handle boths screens?

In theory it is just a normal HDMI signal. HDMI splitting if I get it right does not more than duplicate the output to multiple screens. Not what I would consider a dual monitor setup.
    It is not splitting as in two seperate outputs.

You are more likely to be successful with DP but even there I think Apple is still using the old DP which doesn't support daisy chaining.

If one screen has only limited bandwidth requirements (no video, games) than a USB solution could handle that one monitor while you normally use the other one. Not exactly cheap but USB 3.0 can handle quite a bit of detail now.