Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asathorny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Hi, first time poster so please be gentle with me I'm a geriatric.

My regular Mac is a Mac Mini, however I decided to buy an iMac 27 inch mid 2010 model which I am enjoying. However with my Mac Mini I used dual monitors and got used to having loads of acerage i.e. Skype on one screen whist doing oter stuff on the other.

The problem now is this, the 2010 on has four USB and one firewire out puts.

Can anyone set me straight with a workaround to get my other monitor to work with the current set up.

Thanks in advance and hope I haven't broken any conventions.

Reactions: blake2

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hi, first time poster so please be gentle with me I'm a geriatric.

My regular Mac is a Mac Mini, however I decided to buy an iMac 27 inch mid 2010 model which I am enjoying. However with my Mac Mini I used dual monitors and got used to having loads of acerage i.e. Skype on one screen whist doing oter stuff on the other.

The problem now is this, the 2010 on has four USB and one firewire out puts.

Can anyone set me straight with a workaround to get my other monitor to work with the current set up.

Thanks in advance and hope I haven't broken any conventions.

Hi and welcome !

You haven't broken any conventions but you have asked a question about your iMac in the MacBook section. You are much more likely to get an answer from fellow iMac users in the iMac section. Click on this link to get there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/imac.91/

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You also have mini-DisplayPort on that iMac.

MDP2DPMM4M.Main.jpg

It depends on which monitor you have. You can use a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (shown above) to connect to a DisplayPort monitor, or else a mini-Displayport to HDMI cable (shown below) to connect to an HDMI monitor.

MDP2HDMIMM6.Main.jpg

Moderator: Can you move this thread to the iMac forum?

Last edited:

asathorny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
You also have mini-DisplayPort on that iMac.

MDP2DPMM4M.Main.jpg

It depends on which monitor you have. You can use a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (shown above) to connect to a DisplayPort monitor, or else a mini-Displayport to HDMI cable (shown below) to connect to an HDMI monitor.

MDP2HDMIMM6.Main.jpg

Moderator: Can you move this thread to the iMac forum?
[doublepost=1523779136][/doublepost]Sorry I posted in the wrong area, thank you for the replies :):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.