Dual Or Quad G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Cwoody100, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Cwoody100 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    About a year i go i got my self a Macbook, I've fallen in love with it but i am now after something with a bit more power. I am a student so i cant afford the £1.4k for a new mac pro 4 Core let-a-lown a 8 core! I have been looking at buying a Power Mac G5, but i want the power so i was thinking do i need a dual or quad core? I do i far bit of website designing using CS3 and i record music for my Friends band, i would also probs use it as a games computer too, if it was up for it.

Also how much RAM should i try get for it, i know the more the merrier, but once again my pockets are tight! I dont need to worry about Sata HDDs, i have about 6 sitting on the end of my desk, it just if i can fit them and how many?

Finaly how much do you think i should be paying for it?

Thanks Guys

Woody

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not With a PowerPC.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I wouldn't say "Not" but you are restricted to games which are (were..) released for PPC Macs on Mac OS X.
    Games like Doom 3, Quake 4, COD 2, Colin McRae 2005, X-Plane 9 etc. are all Universal Binary (so PPC is supported too) and are available for the G5, but some newer games from EA (like NFS Carbon) are Intel only, and probably more and more titles in the future will be Intel only too.
    Also, with the G5 you are limited to which grfx cards will be available. Getting a Dual Core G5 (or Quad... ) with PCI-e grfx gets the GeForce 7800 GT at best. That card is good enough for those UB games listed above, but future gaming will probably be too heavy for it.

Also, getting a PPC based Mac means not being able to run Boot Camp to let you play with all those games which are available on Windows.