Dual OS (possible?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hello,

Not really sure if this belongs here or in "Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion", i think its here but feel free to move it if I'm wrong.

That said, here's my question:

After a lot of talk and some very helpful people advising me here looks like my best choice is to get a Mac Mini

--------OR-----

Can i run a dual OS on my laptop?

Its an Intel Core 2 duo 2ghz (2gig ram) with an Ati Radeon HD 2300 graphics and presently with Windows Vista Home Premium (manufactured by Acer - Aspire5720G).

Any tips suggestions etc are most welcome...
    or even a "nope, you cant do that" along with an explanation.

I'm not a rich guy and am really looking to save on $$ (laid off from work) instead of buying a new mini... so would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you asking if you can run OS X on your Acer? :confused:

If so the answer is "maybe". It's called Hackintosh, you'll have to do some research and even if your hardware supports it you may find it's not simple to get up and running properly.

3. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying guys!

And thanks for that link flopticalcube! Thats the same model i have which makes my confidence jump! Only diff i see is that it keeps referring to Win XP and i am on Vista..

Please keep in mind I am only doing this so that i can start to learn how to develop for the iphone... do you think the graphics problems are big enough so that its not worth doing it as it will not be able to develop for the iphone or...?

(basically asking for your thoughts)

Thanks!

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You didn't mention which OS's you'd like to run, but Windows + Linux seems to be a popular combo on PC hardware. Most (if not all) popular Linux distributions come with the tools you'll need to set up your HD to boot either OS.

FWIW, you can also run multiple OS's on a Mac using Boot Camp.

5. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm only doing this to learn and practice iphone development... so I think i'm going to need X 10.5?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Poke around the insanelymac forum and have a look. Running OSX on non-branded Apple hardware is uncharted waters a lot of the time but someone is bound to have tried it on any particular piece of equipment already. Getting it to work is one thing, keeping it going is something else. FWIW, if you have a spare monitor lying around, you are better off buying a used Intel mini for $300 or so off eBay and using that for iPhone development.

7. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in Sweden mate, with our insane taxes and added VAT nearly impossible to get one at that price... but if you have any links perhaps i can ask one of the dealers if they would post here.

Thanks!
    R

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You might be able to find someone on the European eBay's that would ship to Sverige but, yes, you are looking at more like $400-$500 before all is said and done.

9. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Which really sucks, esp when i see that on http://www.apple.com/macmini/ its starting from $599 brand spanking new :eek:

10. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

You say you are from Sweden and was laid off...did you work for SAAB?

Anyways, keep in mind that installing OS X on a "non-apple labeled computer" (don't know exact phrasing) is illegal in the U.S. however it may be allowed in Sweden. Research it, because it may pose some problems (technical and legal) when you try and download the iphone/itouch SDK and begin developing some apps for sale on the itunes store. Just some thoughts, but good luck to ya.

11. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Heh No! didnt work for Saab, surprised our local news has reached you tho :rolleyes:

"non-apple labeled computer" - I'm sure i can print out a sticker and slap it on the machine to make it "labeled" :D it would really suck if the iP SDK can make out that its a "non-apple labeled computer" and wont allow me to submit my apps tho.

Legally, i dont give a flying (you know what) same as most people dont give a crap about the laws lobbied by the music labels ;)

12. BlackWolf macrumors regular

i'm from germany and there are some so-called "hong kong sellers" who ship these things from hong kong which is pretty cheap afaik ... but you should keep an eye at their feedback (never bought something from one though, no idea how much taxes you have to pay if you get a mac mini shipped to you or something)

dual OS is possible and even legal as long as you own a copy of OS X afaik. but you can't be sure if it'll work. some people say it works perfectly for them, some people don't even make it through the installer ... it's try and error, really. back up your hard drive and give it a shot. if it doesn't work, think of something else :D

btw, once you have OS X running you should have no problems developing. I don't know exactly about the publishing process, but I don't think it's gonna be a problem. and even if it would cause problems ... if you are at a point that you developed an app that you actually wanna get published you should get a real mac anyways.

or you just buy a mac because OS X is super-sweet and you want to trash your PC :D

13. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont really trust the hong kong guys for something this expensive, esp since there is not much you can do if it does not work from them.
    Just emailed a guy who is selling an intel based one 1.66ghz core 2 for around $340 so if he comes down a bit i might be the cautious new owner of a mac... and will be back here asking for plenty of help on how to use the damn thing!:rolleyes:

>or you just buy a mac because OS X is super-sweet and you want to trash your PC :D

ARGHH! Looong time PC user here, and with enough experience to know doing the mac vs pc, pc vs mac discussion goes nowhere but south with neither party budging an inch in trashing their views or systems... so will let that comment slide:)

Cheers!