dual os running at same time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haji786, Mar 31, 2013.

1. haji786 macrumors newbie

Hello guys, really need some help,

i wane get a mac mini and need to run two OSX system at the same time. Does anyone know if that is possible?

long story short, i have a very expensive original drawing programme that only runs on the old OSX 10.4.11 Tiger. Cannot afford a new version. At the same time as this OS is old now a lot of software are not compatible without a OS upgrade. For my drawing programme i need OSX 10.4.11 but for most other things i need and would like to upgrade the OS.

I don't really wane just have two different OS on separate partitions (which i know is possible) what i really am trying to find out is can i have them running at the same time and and simply switch instantly between the two OS rather then rebooting between the systems.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013

simsaladimbamba

What software are you talking about? Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger cannot be run on any 2012 Mac, neither as primary or secondary OS nor as virtual machine.
    And even if it could, there is no way to switch between those two instantly besides using a virtual machine.

3. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

VMWare :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Legally you cannot install OS X in a VM. Only OS X Server.

5. mulholland13 macrumors newbie

So what simsaladimbamba said is largely correct, and is 100% dead on if you are talking about doing this solely on a PPC machine.

Technically it is possible to run the INTEL version of 10.4.x in a VM on an Intel-based Mac, and this would effectively allow you to instantly switch between 10.4.x and a new version of MacOS. (Don't ask me how to do this as I don't remember how to set this up, and even if I did I believe that explaining how this is done would violate the rules of the forum.)

That said, if you must have a PPC native install of 10.4.x your only options involve booting 10.4.x on PPC hardware. Now there are ways of integrating a PPC computer into your existing workflow (synergy, teleport, ARD, VNC, etc.) so that you aren't forced to use a separate keyboard and mouse (and/or monitor) and this might make your whole user experience feel a little more cohesive, but you'd still be running 10.4.x on PPC hardware and really just accessing/controlling it via a newer Intel Mac.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is the drawing program? There are plenty of cheap or free vector artwork drawing packages. They may be one that can open your old files.

That might be an alternative to running two OSes!

7. haji786, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

haji786 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its Vectorworks 11.5.

This is like Autocad its a professional drawing programme. You have to even insert a usb dongle with a unique key for it to even swtich on.

its a good programme but the upgrade is too expensive and im out of a job.

Reading everyone's advice i am actually a little confused??? Firstly i don't understand why a older version OX 10.4.11 would not run on newer macs, especially if it was partitioned? Also about the legality issue? not sure why it would be illegal? Doing this sounds much more complicated than i thought. Im gone look into this VM stuff??

Anyway thanks for everyone's advice guys, i appreciate it.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

This is wrong. VMware Fusion supports Tiger:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16867846#post16867846

Here is a screenshot (click to enlarge) (not mine):
    [​IMG]

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't natively support it and is slower than Leopard Server and has stability problems. Mostly because Fusion doesn't properly emulate support for it and VMware never made kexts for it.

10. COrocket macrumors 6502

OSX 10.4 does not have the right drivers/EFI firmware for the hardware contained in newer macs, simply because the new macs didn't exist when the OS was written. Its probably possible if you are a computer programmer and really know what you are doing, even then it would probably be a headache. This is why you'd have to run it virtually using software like VMWare.

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Because when they wrote 10.4.11, they couldn't see into the future and write code that controlled 2012 hardware.