Dual Processors from a G4 MDD in a G4 Quicksilver?

MacPig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
England
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a PowerMac G4 for £5 and I've been mostly quite pleased with it. The computer itself has now got 1.25GB of RAM, 80GB storage and a 733Mhz Processor. Not bad, but I feel it needs more kick from the processor, so I want to upgrade.
I'm not commiting to anything yet but I'm just wondering what would have to go into it. Would it be a matter of simply swapping over the CPU board or would I have to upgrade the whole motherboard and the PSU too?
Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pig

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a PowerMac G4 for £5 and I've been mostly quite pleased with it. The computer itself has now got 1.25GB of RAM, 80GB storage and a 733Mhz Processor. Not bad, but I feel it needs more kick from the processor, so I want to upgrade.
I'm not commiting to anything yet but I'm just wondering what would have to go into it. Would it be a matter of simply swapping over the CPU board or would I have to upgrade the whole motherboard and the PSU too?
Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Pig
From what I understand, MDD processors are not compatible with the G4 Quicksilver. Luckily, if you decide to put in a faster Quicksilver compatible CPU, it's as simple as removing a few screws, then the heat sink, then pulling off the cpu card, then doing this in reverse (and adding thermal paste). It's a 5 minute job.

Comment

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
tayloralmond is correct, they are incompatible. Jump on to eBay USA (they never really apear on the UK one) and grab a faster compatible dual CPU.

Comment

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
This looks like a winner to me. 30 bucks is a heck of a deal.

EDIT: I noticed the seller only ships to the USA. If you can't find a cheap alternative, let me know and I'll buy it and ship it to you if you PayPal me the shipping cost on top of the $30.

Comment

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
That ebay link is pretty neat. It would be a great upgrade to my DA700Mhz. Heck I could even use the heat sink from my dual 533. Unfortunately I do not have $30, or an electronic methodology for payment... :(

Comment

Aameiel

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
This looks like a winner to me. 30 bucks is a heck of a deal.

EDIT: I noticed the seller only ships to the USA. If you can't find a cheap alternative, let me know and I'll buy it and ship it to you if you PayPal me the shipping cost on top of the $30.
Hey Taylor good link just scored one but noticed that it does not have the heat sink with it and after doing a search i did not see any for sale ... if u have spare time can u help me find one ? :)

Comment

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Ok I'm looking to get it up to about 1Ghz, any tips? Thanks for the advice so far!
You mean overclocking or did you buy that dual processor module from eBay? If you want to overclock, here are instructions:

http://powermac-g4.com/g4quicksilverclockup.html

You will need to alter resistors to overclock. G4 processors do not usually overclock very well, the only execption I recall were some eMac G4 700 and 800 which could sometimes overclock to 1.25GHz or even 1.42GHz, but your Quicksilver has an early revision of G4 which is near its limits already. I have overclock G4 machines twice, first was Dual 1GHz MDD to 1.25GHz and second time was upping 733Mhz G4 to 867Mhz in Digital Audio model. G4 is however slow no matter what you do, but if you don't mind possibly damaging your machine (I didn't) then why not.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.