Dual R9 280x's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jordan1990, May 26, 2015.

1. Jordan1990 macrumors member

I apologise if this has been asked somewhere on here before but i have looked and cant find anything.

I have a R9 280x in my 5,1 at the moment, flashed with boot screens works perfectly. It runs GTA V in bootcamp at 1080p fine at 60fps, but if i wanted a bit more horsepower is it possible to add another identical card (flashed etc) into the MP?

A company called CreatePro who build custom 5,1's with pretty much anything they can support inside say they can build you one with dual 280x's so im thinking it obviously can be done. But how would i power it? As the one card takes up both ports from the logic board, HDD/Optical bays using sata to PCIe adaptors?

Would there be a danger of trying to draw too much power from the PSU? I really have no idea when it comes to power requirments etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. JimmyPainter macrumors member

JimmyPainter

MDThis can be accomplished one of 2 ways thankfully :)

Option 1 is find a NOW rare internal Optical Bay PSU (400W) and simply trim the bracing bar inside the Door so cables slip down the inside between Door and Bay divider.

Option 2 can be uglier but way more capable. Buy the Most expensive "Modular" ATX Power supply you can up to 1500 watts. Slip the needed power cables through some nice Heat shrink if they dont come with nice sleeves already. Fit your New Monster Power supply on top of the cMP aaaaannnd inside of something cool like an RC car body or other cool Model for asthetics. Slide the now covered Cables through an Empty slot cover above your 2 Video cards. If you have a card in that slot you can't live without like a USB3, Mod its slot cover to remain on card but provide cutout for your cables. feed them up the back to plug into your PSU. Now you can drive 2 big honkin Monster Cards of any power draw. Something like say .... a couple of 7990s ;) That is where I am headed. I now drive one 7970 from internal power like your 280x. I also want to step up to Dual Hex core setup with some 3.33s and about 1 Gig (4 x 256) of 5gig/sec goodness PCI harddrive and fill the 3 1/2 bays with 4 - 8TB Helium Drives. If your gonna dream .. dream big .... right ???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Mac Pro 2008 (3,1) 8 core, 10G RAM, 7970, 8TB HDDs, USB 3.0, MDISC - BluRay Burner, with 30" Apple Cinema Display

 Macbook Air 4G Ram, 128HD / iPhone 6+ 64G / iPad 4 32G / Apple TV3