Dual-screen applications....know any good ones?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dastraz, May 23, 2009.

1. dastraz macrumors newbie

Just bought a 24" monitor to assist my Macbook Pro (the other screen was getting lonely )

I'm loving dual screen!! However i've notice that there aren't many Mac Apps which can assist dual screen users....

Anyone know any good dual screen apps?

I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would be great to have a program which could place a second identical dock on the opposite side of the extra screen.....

[D][ ] [ ][D]
    [O][Mac Screen] [Dual Screen][O]
    [C][ ] [ ][C]
    [K][ ] [ ][K]

Any help would be most appreciated

2. dastraz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. steveoc macrumors regular

I use DragThing to create a second dock for the second monitor. I also use DejaMenu which allows me to access the menu bar items for an app.

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Well I know that Aperture and Lightroom both make use of the dual screen... so does Dreamweaver and Photoshop... and also the Final Cut Suite uses the dual screens... I mostly use Osirix.... which I use across 4 screens!! that's 7220*6500 of screen real estate!!

5. Molnies macrumors member

Not quite sure what you mean... do you mean apps that assist other apps (like having two docks as you said) or do you mean actual apps that works great with 2 monitors?
    Because I have dual monitors, and have always has since i moved over to Mac, and there are very few apps that doesn't support dual monitors (apps like MS Office comes to mind). So I'm just interested in what you mean, since all the apps I use on a daily basis either have great dual support or are apps that wouldn't benefit from dual monitors.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, what do you mean apps that "assist dual screen users"? I've had dual screens for as long as I can remember, on Windows, Linux, and OS X. Just drag stuff around to wherever you want it, that's the beauty. Certain apps offer special functionality if you have more than one monitor (like Aperture), but any app can be positioned anywhere you like across multiple monitors without any additional software.

7. Tee.Nutter macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a dual monitor for my iMac, just wondering how exactly do the applications you have mentioned make use of the dual screen

Tee :)

8. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Any app with multiple windows benefit. e.g. with photoshop, you could be editing several images at the same time. With two screens you can see more at once. Simple really.

9. Tee.Nutter macrumors regular

Thanks Seb,

I kinda figured that using two displays increases real estate for carrying out multiple task, but I was under the impression that there maybe something specific that dual monitors allows with the apps that Demon mentioned

10. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Whoa I'm not so sure DragThing is for me but DejaMenu seems like it could be really useful. Thanks to the person who mentioned it earlier in this thread!

11. steveoc macrumors regular

Here's an article about DejaMenu that includes a link to a little utility that automatically triggers DejaMenu in Leopard.

12. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Not so sure that DejaMenu is for me either... but I love Mercury Mover and Rightzoom and Fiwi.. if you want to increase productivity on a large screen... then those are three apps that I could not live without!!!

13. wdockery macrumors newbie

Using multiple monitors

Hi, to the OsiriX user with 4 screens: How do you tell Osirix to use the screens the way you want them to be used--i.e., database window on left screen and study images on the other 3 screens? I tried this using System Preferences and a second monitor plugged into my MBP, and I felt like I wasn't getting the correct screen behavior--I was doing a lot of manual window-dragging.