Dual screen basics

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kinkster, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be selling my hackintosh soon and buying a 20 inch iMac. But i'll be keeping my current 20 inch screen and using it with the mac. I know I need the cord, but as far as software goes I don't know what I should get for having a dual screen setup. Any cool apps/widgets or whatever for dual screens?

Also is there any way to overcome the problem with having different screen calibrated differently(and thus badly on atleast one).

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

None.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Do iMacs currently come with the miniDVI-to-DVI adapter? I know mine didn't. It's needed in order to hook up a standard DVI cable.

6. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont think they do, but I can pick one up.

Is there any software that can make it so you can instantly switch what's on one screen to the other?

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

What exactly do you mean by this? You can currently drag anything onto the second monitor. It just acts like one extra wide screen. I'm not sure what you're asking by this.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Not that I know of... you'll just have to move the windows around as you see fit. When you first plug in your monitor, go to System Preferences->Displays and click on the Arrangement tab. This will let you precisely position the relative layout of the two monitors so that it's easy to move stuff from one display to the next.

9. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, okay. I meant if I have one display in a less optimal position and something on it becomes important, i could just switch em instead of craning my neck.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could drag the window to the other display.

Or go to system preferences > displays and change the arrangement by switching the displays by mouse.

In Susan's words: "You'll find out."