dual screen full screen output

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wolrabn, Mar 10, 2014.

1. wolrabn macrumors newbie

I currently have a 2008 iMac running Mavericks, with a Sharp LCD Tv connected as a secondary display via mini-dvi to hdmi output.

I've read that Mavericks addresses the 'full screen with dual screen' issues but that doesn't seem to be the case with what I want to do.

Basically want to put an embedded video through Safari/browser full screen through the TV and be able to use the imac monitor without any problems.

However every time i click back on the imac monitor the full screen goes off on the tv. I have tried separating Safari into Desktop 2 and clicking back into Desktop 1 (on the imac screen) but same result happens.

Ideally I would also like to be able to turn off/on the imac display with the other unaffected, but turning off the display seems to turn off both displays.

Anyone know of a way to resolve either? Not too fussed if i cant turn off individual imac monitor but the full screen issue is rather annoying!!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The key is that when you're watching an embedded video full-screen, you're not using the App "Full-screen" feature. You're using whatever method the video is using, e.g. the Flash player full-screen - which doesn't play by the same "rules" as app full-screen.

In a nutshell, if you can full-screen using the diagonal-arrows button - then it's using OS X full-screen method, and filling the "Space" - you should be able to use the other screen as you wish. If you're using the player or app's own full-screen method, you can't.

There are some work-arounds; for example Amazon streaming video (the last one in my example picture) has a "Pop-out" button, right next to their Full Screen, that pops the video into its own window in Safari - then you can full-screen that window with the Safari full-screen button in the upper right. You still have a title bar but other than that it works well.

Attached Files:

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

I dunno about that. I can full screen anything and use the other screen just fine: youtube, vlc, netflix, etc...

4. wolrabn thread starter macrumors newbie

will try the pop-out video and see if that fixes it... thanks

Any idea if its possible to turn off iMac monitor on dual output?
    I know I could just output to TV and that would work, but ideally would be nice where the iMac screen can be turned off/dimmed whilst the other is full screen.