dual screen full screen output

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by wolrabn, Mar 10, 2014.

1. wolrabn macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2011
    I currently have a 2008 iMac running Mavericks, with a Sharp LCD Tv connected as a secondary display via mini-dvi to hdmi output.

I've read that Mavericks addresses the 'full screen with dual screen' issues but that doesn't seem to be the case with what I want to do.

Basically want to put an embedded video through Safari/browser full screen through the TV and be able to use the imac monitor without any problems.

However every time i click back on the imac monitor the full screen goes off on the tv. I have tried separating Safari into Desktop 2 and clicking back into Desktop 1 (on the imac screen) but same result happens.

Ideally I would also like to be able to turn off/on the imac display with the other unaffected, but turning off the display seems to turn off both displays.

Anyone know of a way to resolve either? Not too fussed if i cant turn off individual imac monitor but the full screen issue is rather annoying!!
  2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    The key is that when you're watching an embedded video full-screen, you're not using the App "Full-screen" feature. You're using whatever method the video is using, e.g. the Flash player full-screen - which doesn't play by the same "rules" as app full-screen.

In a nutshell, if you can full-screen using the diagonal-arrows button - then it's using OS X full-screen method, and filling the "Space" - you should be able to use the other screen as you wish. If you're using the player or app's own full-screen method, you can't.

There are some work-arounds; for example Amazon streaming video (the last one in my example picture) has a "Pop-out" button, right next to their Full Screen, that pops the video into its own window in Safari - then you can full-screen that window with the Safari full-screen button in the upper right. You still have a title bar but other than that it works well.

Attached Files:

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

Feb 16, 2013
    I dunno about that. I can full screen anything and use the other screen just fine: youtube, vlc, netflix, etc...
  4. wolrabn thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2011
    will try the pop-out video and see if that fixes it... thanks

Any idea if its possible to turn off iMac monitor on dual output?
    I know I could just output to TV and that would work, but ideally would be nice where the iMac screen can be turned off/dimmed whilst the other is full screen.