Dual screen in car & front control... possible?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GeekGuys, Sep 8, 2011.

1. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I have a setup I'd like some advice on as I can't seem to find the answer on google or forums (que someone posting instantly a link to 20 answers!!!:))

I would like the following

2 inbuilt screens in rear headrests (7-8" ideally) showing the same video output.

1 iPad (or possiblt iPod Touch) in front to provide control. Also showing video output (and music/photos/satnav etc).
    How can I push video from iPad to 2 monitors? These can be iPads or Samsung Tabs or HDMI LCD panels... don't mind.
    Sound will need to be via car stereo (via Optical output ideally).

One thought was Video Mirroring from ipad and some sort of splitter to 2 LCD's.
    Another thought was using iPad and Apple TV2 to drive LCD panels and using AirPlay?

The iPad may or may not be fixed into front dash (haven't got that far yet) and IOS5 wireless updates would resolve one issue if it was mounted in dash.

This is more of an exercise in desire and design than cost or practical options (like "just buy a DVD player for $80"). I am looking for real solutions, so if anyone has them, please shout loudly !:D

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You might want to ask on the forums where the Mac Mini folks hang out; that was the platform of choice for in-car mods. Run it headless with an i-device using a VNC app. And I know you could stream from that; even do a peer-to-peer wifi to avoid the cable hassle.

Monoprice.com also sells hdmi video splitters if you want to go that way.