Dual Screen on new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msaspence, Oct 16, 2008.

1. msaspence macrumors newbie

With the DVI Dual Link converter for the new macbook pro will it be possible to link two displays up to it.

Common sense would say yes, but the description on the apple store website of the converter only mentions being able to use it to run a 30" display?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I think you're confused about what dual-link actually is (it's a misleading term...). Dual-link DVI transmits twice the bandwidth as single-link DVI, allowing it to drive higher-resolution displays up to 2560x1600 pixels (the native resolution of most 30" class displays). Single-link DVI is limited to 1920x1200 pixels. The term "dual" comes from the interface having two TDMS signal transmitters instead of one.

But in either case, one port only drives one display.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can still run two displays if you count the MBP screen, but I think all dual-display setups require two video processors. You maybe could find a video splitter that just repeats the signal to two seperate monitors, but for two different displays, you would need two graphics cards, which is best suited with a Mac Pro or other desktop PC.

4. msaspence thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i was confused

i though dual link dvi was link the single port you get on some pc graphics cards that you can split to two separate displays

it really sucks
    cause i already have two dell 20" screens for my old pc
    now ive switched to mac and i cant afford a mac pro and a macbook (need a notebook too)
    so figured i'd get a macbook pro instead

thanks for clearing it up

5. FCDP macrumors regular

A single video card can power 2 displays, though it's unclear whether the dual link dvi cable will actually allow you to output to 2 separate screens, and not just one 30" ACD. Currently you can do it with a DVI video splitter that outputs an extra wide resolution across 2 displays, but software sees it as a single display.

It would be nice if the dual link DVI cable allows you to run 2 monitors.

6. msaspence thread starter macrumors newbie

if there was some software that could offset the docks location this would in fact be better cause I am always find myself running out of room on the menu bar

however even if it was possible, would i be able to run two 1600x1200 off it
    guessing no because 3200>2560
    guessing yes because 3200*1200<2560*1600

7. FCDP macrumors regular

Technically speaking, that is true, it is far fewer pixels that need to be rendered, and the MBP can handle a 30" cinema display. The only problem though, is the DVI signal split will most likely be limited in resolution. Matrox now makes a unit that can power 2 "1920 x 1200" displays.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/specs.html