Dual Screen Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacGar, Jan 3, 2010.

1. MacGar macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying an iMac 27 (can't wait... :D) and I want to have dual monitors. So will my current Hanspree HF199H 19' monitor work as dual screen along with 27' imac screen?

Could someone find out please. And while I'm on this topic, what software do I need to put this dual screen to use?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can find out for yourself by going to Apple.com and looking at the technical specifications page of the iMac and reading that the 27" iMac can support up to 2560x1600 pixel on an external screen additional to the internal resolution of 2560x1440.
    A 19" display will most likely have a resolution of 1600x1200 or something similar.

All you need is a miniDisplayPort to either VGA or DVI adapter, which can be bought at the (Online) Apple Store for 29USD each.

Done.

PS: No additional software needed, as Mac OS X is capable of having external displays connected, up to eight with MacPro if you want.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As spinnerlys said, only thing you need is a correct adapter. It should work like plug&play

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it will work but it won't be that great an experience as the sizes/resolutions are too different... I know its your "spare" monitor but eventually you'll want something similar size and resolution...

Go to www.monoprice.com and get the cheapest adapters and cables you can so you aren't spending much on this setup...

5. daddybiggs2001 macrumors newbie

iMac 27" w dual monitors issues

I have a iMac 27 with the i5 and 12gb mem. I hooked up a HP w2207 wide screen monitor. My problem is when I first start or recover from monitor sleep, the 2nd HP monitor does not fire up. It is in standby mode. I also get screen flickering or interruptions as the iMac is seemingly trying to connect to the HP. My screen goes blue for a few seconds and then returns to the desktop. It repeats this several times until it connects or I turn off the HP monitor, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on. Again the screen goes blue for about 6 seconds and finally I get the dual monitors working. This is annoying every time I start the iMac and return after monitor sleep. I have the system sleep set to never. Any help with this is really appreciated as it is driving me batty. BTW, I am just converted to MAC after being absence from Apple for about 20 years. Loving being back to Apple!

Biggs

6. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I've tried the same thing with my old 17" iMac and a 15" LCD. Not a good fit at all, very disappointing. I found myself ALWAYS using the iMac's screen and the extra was just wasted. But hey, if you've got it, try it! :D

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

All you need is the correct adapter, MacGar!

Habitus :apple: