Dual-Screen Setup for Final Cut Studio & After Effects?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MatchFrame, May 4, 2008.

1. MatchFrame macrumors member

I'm about to purchase a 2.8 Quad mac pro, so I'm trying to figure out what monitors I should go with for a dual-screen setup for video editing and motion graphics work with Final Cut Studio and After Effects.

I'm looking to get no less than 22" widescreen with a good response time. It would be fantastic if it could have 1920x1200 resolution, but I understand this would be difficult with my price range of $300-$400 per monitor. I suppose my price range could expand up a bit if the monitors match these specification exactly.

Also, ideally the black "border" of the monitor would be matte instead of glossy (like most Samsungs, for example).

I thought that I'd be going with the SAMSUNG 2253BW Black 22" until I read this post ripping apart Samsung monitors for video editing (and in general).

For the life of me I cannot find good advice for video editing monitors that aren't Apple Cinema Displays, but unfortunately those are out of my price range (for now).

Any recommendations? Experiences of your own?

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Shopping for LCDs opens up a pretty big can of worms. I've never seen a 22" monitor at that resolution and if there are, they're probably very expensive. You might want to look at 24" displays.

As for display speed, the cheapest LCDs tend to have the fastest response time because they use the less expensive TN panels. You'll find some more info about panel technology at this forum.

If you go 22" or smaller, you might consider a VA or IPS type of display. They do much better color than TN and decent ones tend to be fast enough for most applications at that size. But if speed is really of the essence, then you're probably going to need a TN display, which are fast but not terribly impressive the color accuracy and viewing angle categories.

3. MatchFrame thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. It has definitely helped guide my search. IPS sounded excellent, but ultimately is out of my price range for now.

I am considering going with the NEC ASLCD24WMCX-BK. It's a 24", has a multitude of inputs, and I couldn't find anything significantly negative in the reviews on Newegg.com. Right now it is $430 at Newegg.com

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'd love to hear what you think of the display. Honestly, even though people make a big deal about display panel types, the negatives of a TN panel are probably not too significant for most users. Color accuracy matters if you are proofing for print, but for most it's not even going to be noticeable. Viewing angle isn't a big deal because most people sit right in front.

Personally I'm partial to IPS and VA panels, but I've considered getting a TN display for gaming. Might just wait and see if someone comes out with faster IPS though...

5. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

OP what did you buy in the end i am currently looking into that monitor and would like to hear what you think about it...if you bought that one obviously

I am considering going with the NEC ASLCD24WMCX-BK. It's a 24", has a multitude of inputs, and I couldn't find anything significantly negative in the reviews on Newegg.com. Right now it is $430 at Newegg.com[/QUOTE]