Dual Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheG00n, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TheG00n macrumors newbie

TheG00n

Ok so i have a macbook that is a few years old and just a while back i got one of these.

Is there a way that i can run a dual screen with these computers...is there anything that i can buy so i can run a dual screen......would love to hear everyones suggestions.....thanks guys:)

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

The MacBook you can run as a dual screen computer, i.e. if you hook up a monitor then you can gain extra desktop space.

The iMac you can only screen mirror I believe, i.e. if you hook a monitor it will display what you see on the iMac screen.

Now I am not sure about your question, are you asking if you can use the iMac as a second screen for the MacBook?

Short answer, no.

3. TheG00n thread starter macrumors newbie

TheG00n

yea that is what im asking.....will i be able to use the imac as a second screen for my macbook?

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

No.

It would be a nice little project to modify the iMac (remove the computer and just make it a large monitor) if you are technically minded, somewhere there is a website that shows you how it would be theoretically possible but there is a lot of DIY electronics involved. I am an electronics engineer and I would think twice about it.

5. MikeL macrumors 6502

No, you won't be able to do that.

15" CRTs are dirt cheap. You should be able to find one for free without any trouble at all.

6. MaddMacs macrumors 6502

In Leopard there is a screen sharing option in System Preferences>sharing.

7. MikeL macrumors 6502

There's also something called Time Machine in Leopard.

Not that Time Machine or Screen Sharing have anything at all to do with what the OP is asking...