Dual screening and Airplay Mirroring

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 999cameron, Jun 27, 2012.

1. 999cameron macrumors newbie

I know this has probably come up before but I just want a quick answer :)

I have a SONY HDTV and am considering the purchase of an iMac 21.5"

Can you dual screen output the iMac to the TV via HDMI (or any other way) ? Or can you only view it on the iMac screen? I know that you can output to an Apple Thunderbolt Monitor, but I don't want to pay another £800! Can you do it through a HDMI cable? If not, and there are no HDMI ports on the iMac, then can you get device/cable that switched thunderbolt to HDMI?

Another thing

Can you airplay and mirror your iMac to an Apple TV. I do this with my iPhone and iPad, but am interested if you can do this with a Mac?

Thanks very much!

Cam

:)

2. Star Nuts macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure on the cables, but Airplay Mirroring for the Mac is coming out for on Mountain Lion OS. Gonna be sweet.

3. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much! I watched the whole of the keynote yet I read and watch so much about Macs that sometimes I forget what is jargon, what is true and what is rubbish! It will be sweet! haha! But is it complete mirroring, so whatever is on my Mac will be on my TV? Or is it airplay, so I can watch videos and games from the Mac App Store?

4. ytk macrumors regular

Yes, you just need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, or a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI adapter.

5. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! But where does the Mini DisplayPort plug into?- the thunderbolt port?

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Yes.

This is definitely the cleaner option, once ML comes out.

8. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have an ATV, however, for times when I don't have an Internet connection (yes very rare) but does happen sometimes, I would prefer a wired version. Also, mirroring must use a lot of bandwidth, and what about my fair usage policy? I think that having a wired version would be much better, as it is always plugged n, ready for use, whereas I can imagine even with mountain lion I will have to find something on my iMac in order to use it, instead of it being ready for mirroring as it would with a wired connection.

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

What is your intended purpose(s) with the dual screens? If you just want to watch videos, etc. from iTunes, you can do that now with Lion and ATV.

10. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sometimes watching movies etc. but also working on two things, Facebook and twitter on one - work on the other, just havin another screen.

11. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Obviously you can use FB & Twitter on your Mac. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can stream via AirPlay to ATV both FB & Twitter. And, the rumor is that FB will be incorporated into ATV, perhaps when iOS6 comes out.

12. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

I obviously know you can use fb and twitter, but I am telling people what I was using it for - I'm explaining why I'd want dual screens.

13. mukade macrumors member

Doesn't Airplay on ML support mirroring only?

It would be great to have dual monitors via Airplay, but the threads I have read on here said it isn't an option.

Any updates on that?

14. 999cameron thread starter macrumors newbie

your HALF right! From what I've learnt, ML will support full mirroring, but lion only supports AirPlay from iTunes

15. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Geez, I'd settle for Apple fixing the "full screen" feature so that the extra monitor is useful while another application is using full screen on the iMac.

16. Melsir macrumors newbie

Melsir

According on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mountain_Lion,
    the fullscreen issue on multiple display will be fixed in ML.

17. iMikeT macrumors 68020

That's good news.

The other thing I want to know is if apps will go into full screen simply in the space/desktop that it's currently in or can we expect what we've had were the app creates a new space/desktop?