Dual screens: Full screen on one, while still enjoying the other.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kalixa, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Kalixa macrumors member

Hello. I have a macbook pro, which is hooked up to a 17 inch lcd, so I have two screens for myself. The problem is that each time I wan't an app to go fullscreen. For example Preview, Frontrow or iTunes, just to name a few, the other screen will just go black. Is it possible to say, watch a movie on my LCD screen, but still surfing the internet using my laptops screen?

2. macmattmini macrumors newbie

I have a feeling that if you watch a video in VLC media player, you can have it full screen on one monitor, and still use the other screen - thats what i tend to do.

Matt

3. Kalixa thread starter macrumors member

That is correct. I just tried. I would just like it to be possible with other applications than VLC.

4. PCRanger macrumors regular

You can use Quicktime in fullscreen whilst doing other things.
    If you go to the preferences, the option can be found there.

5. Kalixa thread starter macrumors member

So there is no universal way to do this. I just have to hope that the individual apps which I want in full screen will have an option to do so?

6. kostia macrumors regular

DVD Player also has the option, but yes, it's a per-application thing.

One trick I've used (not perfect) is to keep the video or whatever in windowed mode, but maximize the window. Then use control-scroll (universal access zoom) to zoom in a little, enough so the border disappears and the video fills the screen. The laptop screen will be zoomed too, but still usable.

7. Kalixa thread starter macrumors member

That sure is a sad and dirty hack. I sure wish apple would make some improvements for using multiple screens.

Thanks for your suggestion.