Dual screens: Full screen on one, while still enjoying the other.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hello. I have a macbook pro, which is hooked up to a 17 inch lcd, so I have two screens for myself. The problem is that each time I wan't an app to go fullscreen. For example Preview, Frontrow or iTunes, just to name a few, the other screen will just go black. Is it possible to say, watch a movie on my LCD screen, but still surfing the internet using my laptops screen?

macmattmini

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2006
uk
I have a feeling that if you watch a video in VLC media player, you can have it full screen on one monitor, and still use the other screen - thats what i tend to do.

Matt

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have a feeling that if you watch a video in VLC media player, you can have it full screen on one monitor, and still use the other screen - thats what i tend to do.

Matt
That is correct. I just tried. I would just like it to be possible with other applications than VLC.

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
You can use Quicktime in fullscreen whilst doing other things.
If you go to the preferences, the option can be found there.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
So there is no universal way to do this. I just have to hope that the individual apps which I want in full screen will have an option to do so?

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
DVD Player also has the option, but yes, it's a per-application thing.

One trick I've used (not perfect) is to keep the video or whatever in windowed mode, but maximize the window. Then use control-scroll (universal access zoom) to zoom in a little, enough so the border disappears and the video fills the screen. The laptop screen will be zoomed too, but still usable.

Kalixa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
DVD Player also has the option, but yes, it's a per-application thing.

One trick I've used (not perfect) is to keep the video or whatever in windowed mode, but maximize the window. Then use control-scroll (universal access zoom) to zoom in a little, enough so the border disappears and the video fills the screen. The laptop screen will be zoomed too, but still usable.
That sure is a sad and dirty hack. I sure wish apple would make some improvements for using multiple screens.

Thanks for your suggestion.