Dual screens...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by diirtysoul, Jul 20, 2011.

1. diirtysoul macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a iMac 21.5 mid 2010 (mini display port) and I have just been given to AOC 21 HD LCD screens (VGA) and would like to hook them up to the iMac for Logic Pro. I know it can be done but what is the cheapest option? I know the Matrox DualHead2go is about but it seems very expensive... Is there something similar or another option to use both the screens in extended mode?

Many Thanks

2. ale500 macrumors regular

Do you want 3 monitors in total ? then you have to go for the dualheadtogo, if you only want one then an mDP to VGA (or DVI) adaptor is the way to go.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Matrox isn't the only solution.

You could try a Display Link compatible device. Since there's a lot of Display Link devices around, you can at least try shopping around for a cheap device to hook up the 3rd monitor.

4. diirtysoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great help guys... What one would you recommend out of then for my set up as above??

5. diirtysoul thread starter macrumors newbie

So I would use the mini display port to one monitor and a usb port for the other? And would the mac recognise both? Also would they be used in extended mode i.e I could move things through all 3 screens?

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yep.. here's a YouTube video of a MacBook Pro running a total of 4 screens - 2 being run over USB with displaylink. It's a few years old and the drivers since then have improved, so I think there shouldn't be much lag now.

As for suggested adapters. I can't really say, just look for a USB to VGA adapter on the DisplayLink website and get one that supports the maximum resolution of your AOC monitor. It's really as simple as that.

7. diirtysoul thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yep looks good, and I think Kensington is the way to go ;)

9. diirtysoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I am still awaiting the kensington but I recieved my displayport to dvi this morning and I have a bundle of dvi to vga cables... I hooked it up and nothing... I went to detect displays and nothing... The monitor is saying NO INPUT...

Any help?? :confused:

10. NEBaghead macrumors member

NEBaghead

I had the same problem. I had to use the DVI port on my monitor with a DVI to DVI cable. For some reason using a DVI to VGA cable on the VGA port on the monitor wouldn't work with the mdB to DVI adapter.

11. Vylen macrumors 65816

DVI is digital... VGA is analog.

Some cables like displayport to dvi will only carry a digital signal. Meanwhile, some DVI cables carry both analog and digital signal, that's why you can have a passive DVI to VGA cable with no problem.

Chances are you're going to need to find a converter thingy or cable that you know will carry an analog video signal.

12. diirtysoul thread starter macrumors newbie

13. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a