Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
hey guys,

I'm sorry to be continuing this AGAIN, but i have been thinking about my setup. I was going for a MBP to get all aspects, now, i was considering for the same ball park money ,i could get a new rMB and a used / refurb 27" iMac.

what do you think, that screen and GPU for some counter strike and web browsing, then the rMB which i quite like to do my basic tasks around the house and at a coffee house?

does this seam reasonable?

RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
Sounds good to me.
With that setup you get a great desktop + ultra portable notebook.
Do you have any concerns?

hey Azl, thanks for the response mate. yeah enjoy both items so thought why not go down that route..my only concern is future proofing the iMac, will a 2013 base iMac be ok for the next few years? run counterstrike?

i found a good site with refurbs, and the apple refurb store. can i upgrade to SSD and the RAM also?

RTJ

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"upgradeable" is a little bit inaccurate.
You may want to review an iFixit repair guide to see how challenging it can be to slice the iMac open, then tape it back closed when you are done.
Particularly look at the guide for replacing memory.
(The RAM slots are on the back side of the logic board, not a simple door to access the memory. :D )
You may be comfortable with that level of repair, but though I would point that out.

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
"upgradeable" is a little bit inaccurate.
You may want to review an iFixit repair guide to see how challenging it can be to slice the iMac open, then tape it back closed when you are done.
Particularly look at the guide for replacing memory.
(The RAM slots are on the back side of the logic board, not a simple door to access the memory. :D )
You may be comfortable with that level of repair, but though I would point that out.

I'm going to phone the company tomorrow when they open and see if they will charge me for a fresh hard drive (SSD) to be put in before they ship it to save be the hassle as I'm aware it is quite tricky, and can upgrade the ram myself in th future when needed.

RTJ

Zeebedy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Scotland, UK
Apple iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011 - 3.4GHz Core i7

how is this setup guys? will this gpu run CS : GO ok? and with 32gb ram and an ssd, will this model run me out a few years??

RTJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.