Dual SIM both active for iPhone 5 possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, May 30, 2016.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

After an upgrade we now have a spare iPhone 5 that is available to use as a backup. I don't like taking my iPhone 6 plus on holiday, as don't use it much away, and in case lose it.

Is there a case, or accessory to use dual SIM, so I can use a different SIM for 3G roaming, along with my current SIM at the same time, as Ikea n both active at same time.

I've seen a Moto G that has has inbuilt dual SIM, both active at same time and you can choose which to use for data, which for texts etc, great idea and implementation.

What the benefit of using the iPhone 5 would give me is I could do an iCloud backup on my 6 plus, recover it on my iPhone 5, reset totally the 6 plus, and when I come back, restore from an iCloud backup on my 6 plus, so would have the same texts etc still, is this possible?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, no current iphone model or addon does dual sim currently.

3. RedOrchestra Suspended

What's the point of owning something if you constantly live in fear of losing that thing ... sheesh.

Buddy of mine has a Porsche Turbo Carrera - he got caught driving it in a sudden small hailstorm, took a couple of little dings ... best thing to ever happen because NOW he just drives and enjoys his Porsche . every . single . day.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok thanks, seen one that says doesn't need a reboot, but take it won't run both at same time though

As I said I won't use it as much on a holiday, rather take a backup that I won't care as much for beach, pool etc. I use it everyday normally.

Why risk something when you don't have to?

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Curious, what kind of case do you have your iPhone 6 plus in?

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irrelevant to the question. Only use dual SIM when abroad

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've read about magic sim either here or elsewhere but can't attest to how well it works or whether you get simultaneous use (I imagine not since this would need some level of OS handling I believe). It does give you the ability to at least use two sims.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are very few phones with dual active SIM. You would need two of all the radio hardware which the iPhone 5 doesn't have. Heck, most of the phones on the market are dual standby for this very reason.

So what you're trying to do with not possible. However, I'm not sure why you can't just use a phone for whatever long your holiday is that isn't your standard phone? Or are there so many apps you must have on holiday that you can't just download onto another phone?

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

No I can with the Moto G that has this facility, it's just prefer iPhone, means I could continue apps that I use, e.g. game progression etc.

If switching to Android have to copy across stuff I'll need etc. It was more for convenience than anything.

Thanks