Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dengue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Hong Kong
Hey there, since now we have dual sim iPhones, is there any possibilities to have a dual apps, like 2 whatsapps, 2 telegram app on your phone?
Or maybe it will be Apple next year iOS features

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Judging from Apple's help pages and images we've seen from people running 12.1 beta, appears everything will be via a single app, and there will be a toggle/dropdown to select which number to use to contact. Ie. Seen where Contacts show what number/account/telco to use to contact an individual. Messages defaults to last used or default for person, but can toggle in message thread screen to use other SIM/number.

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2018/09/dualsimcontacts-800x650.jpg
https://support.apple.com/library/c...w-message-with-line-choice-button-cropped.jpg

sahajesh

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2004
Sheffield
I think the OP meant apps like WhatsApp where it’s tied to a number and (I guess) will still work the same way unless updated.

How does that app work on dual-SIM Android phones, for example?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
On most (all?) dual sim Android phones, the app gets cloned to the second sim. So number A gets one copy of Whatsapp, number B a second instance of Whatsapp. You have two icons on the screen and tap the appropriate one for the number you want to use.

sahajesh

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2004
Sheffield
On most (all?) dual sim Android phones, the app gets cloned to the second sim. So number A gets one copy of Whatsapp, number B a second instance of Whatsapp. You have two icons on the screen and tap the appropriate one for the number you want to use.
Cheers.

Not that I plan to get a DS iPhone for a while but wonder if this is what WhatsApp and others will do, or are they restricted by the iOS SDK (or we just don’t know yet)?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
There are actually 2 Telegram apps that you can use simultaneously. One is Telegram and the other is Telegram X. I currently use both and have it set up with one w/ a US # and the other a UK #.

sahajesh

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2004
Sheffield
There are actually 2 Telegram apps that you can use simultaneously. One is Telegram and the other is Telegram X. I currently use both and have it set up with one w/ a US # and the other a UK #.

Is that to cater for dual-SIM or are they different versions altogether? WhatsApp may not be able/want to do the same and anyway, having multiple versions of the same (popular) app isn’t a good thing.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Is that to cater for dual-SIM or are they different versions altogether? WhatsApp may not be able/want to do the same and anyway, having multiple versions of the same (popular) app isn’t a good thing.

No, I think the X version was sort of a beta as it was written in swift unlike the original app, per the release notes. But they’ve recently updated the main Telegram app using Swift now. Both apps currently in the store but not sure if they’ll discontinue the X version in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.