Dual Sim iPhone with T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quickstrike, Jun 6, 2013.

1. quickstrike macrumors newbie

So I switched to T-Mobile from Sprint and love how fast T-Mobile is. The only bummer is that there are a few places I go that T-Mobile doesn't have great coverage. I don't go there too often, but my job takes me here and there. So, I bought a Magic-Sim dual sim adapter for my iPhone 5 and use a pre-paid AT&T Go Phone $2 a day unlimited plan and I can switch carriers whenever I need to.

On long car trips sometimes we'll need to switch if T-Mobile doesn't roam well there.

So the question for my wife and I was pretty simple. Switch to T-Mobile and Spend $75 a month after employee discount or stay with Sprint, AT&T or Verizon and pay at least $140 for the family plan. That's a savings of $780 a year. So...for $780 a year, would you deal with a bit of inconvenience to switch sims for the few times you need to?

2. Caesars macrumors regular

I would just buy a prepaid phone and pay the times you'll be traveling. Prepay plans where I'm at (NE Ohio) start as low as $30/month for unlimited, you can turn turn on and off whenever you want (by month I mean).

3. Baggio macrumors 6502

Can you post pics of this dual SIM adapter?

I am intrigued by the option of having one of these when It travel overseas, where I can switch between my US AT&T SIM and a local prepaid SIM. I usually bring my old unlocked iPhone 4 and put my AT&T SIM in that phone and use my unlocked iPhone 5 with a prepaid SIM.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I did this, sort of. I grabbed a Lumia 520 for TMobile (though they will unlock it after 7 days of use on TMobile) for $130 a walmart. I actually wrote a review of it in the "other" section. Remarkable phone for $130. I just can;t get over it.

5. quickstrike thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the website that I bought the dual sim adapter from.

http://www.magic-sim.com/product/id/15/MAGICSIM_ELITE_-_iPHONE_5_DUAL_SIM_ADAPTER.html

It shipped from England and took a few days to get here. I wrapped the ribbon cable around the back of my iphone and then cut a hole in the otterbox case for the iPhone 5 to make it sit flush behind the case. Now I can switch between ATT and T-Mobile with the push of a button and I love it. I only pay $2 a day on the days I actually use the phone so it's cheap insurance to make sure I can make a call when I need to if T-Mobile doesn't work. So far, I've used it twice in two months.

Plus...why would I want to carry another phone when I can make my iPhone act like two phones, or three if you count that I use Google Voice too.

6. Baggio macrumors 6502

Thanks! :cool: