Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Carrier Dual SIM options for a British expat/digital nomad?

Kingofclouds

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
HK/Chinese physical dual sims are readily available here in the UAE. I have an XS Max from last year and an 11 pro. They can be delivered to the UK securely although you will have to pay import duty. Check out amazon.ae

Comment

alexjholland

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Would a cheap UK contract esim work? I know that no UK networks don’t offer a PAYG esim but if you can get a ‘sim only’ contract at say £10 per month which provides you with a UK number and use of the esim, it frees up the nano sim slot for your travels.

Sure, I'd be happy to do that. Even £20. But UK contracts seem to cut you off for long-term roaming.

Even 3's 'Roam Abroad' option cuts you off at 60 days.

If there's a cheap UK contract that doesn't cut you off for roaming, please tell me!
[automerge]1600090674[/automerge]
I have to say this is one of the most ridiculous "reasons" I've ever seen for not getting an iPhone made for the China market... it's not even true. It has the same "low battery warning" popups as the rest of the world and nothing more.

Next people will be complaining about the different app closing animation as a reason not to get it.

I don't think a Chinese-made iPhone will do anything awful to me.

I just feel uncomfortable about it. I disagree with everything about their stance on democracy and freedom of expression.

Comment

alexjholland

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Yup, your best bet is a HK iPhone.

Oh and just FYI if you’re traveling to Indonesia, our government implemented whitelist IMEI, so a foreign phone cannot use local carrier SIM unless you pay a tax to get it whitelisted. There’s supposed to be a grace period for tourists, but the details are murky. Right now the safest bet is to just roam using your country’s SIM, or get one of those international roaming SIM, or if you stop by Singapore to get their local SIM which can give you roaming data in many countries (Indonesia included). I know Starhub prepaid SIM can do this. Just FYI.

Ugh I forgot about that.

It was talked about... has it actually happened?

TBF this will affect me, no matter what I do.

What's the tax like?
[automerge]1600090817[/automerge]
Just seems like a big hassle to secure a phone if you weren’t planning to be there in the first place. Good luck!

My friend's a pilot who lived in HK. At the weekend he mentioned he has friends who can buy one and mail it to me.

Reactions: MrKennedy
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Ugh I forgot about that.

It was talked about... has it actually happened?

TBF this will affect me, no matter what I do.

What's the tax like?
It happened, although implementation is still super rough on the edges. Us locals have been getting text messages that our handsets are whitelisted since the beginning of the year.

For hand-carried phone, I believe if it's above USD $500, there's a 10% entry tax and 10% VAT, and then you have to register the IMEI with custom. That's the theory. Personally I haven't had any experience, but there are rumors that the system is still borked as the database wasn't actually ready. We now have updated news that September 15 will be the "final days" of non-whitelisted phones.

There's good news though. I'm reading that tourists can go to the local operators' shops and get a 90-day grace period without paying any taxes/registering their IMEI. Can't comment on real life experience though.

If you are stopping by Singapore in between, there's an easier option, to simply get and use Starhub prepaid SIM. With Starhub prepaid SIM, you can data roam in Indonesia using the same data quota that you get for Singapore. That might be easier for you.

Comment

alexjholland

macrumors 6502
Original poster
It happened, although implementation is still super rough on the edges. Us locals have been getting text messages that our handsets are whitelisted since the beginning of the year.

For hand-carried phone, I believe if it's above USD $500, there's a 10% entry tax and 10% VAT, and then you have to register the IMEI with custom. That's the theory. Personally I haven't had any experience, but there are rumors that the system is still borked as the database wasn't actually ready. We now have updated news that September 15 will be the "final days" of non-whitelisted phones.

There's good news though. I'm reading that tourists can go to the local operators' shops and get a 90-day grace period without paying any taxes/registering their IMEI. Can't comment on real life experience though.

If you are stopping by Singapore in between, there's an easier option, to simply get and use Starhub prepaid SIM. With Starhub prepaid SIM, you can data roam in Indonesia using the same data quota that you get for Singapore. That might be easier for you.

Great, thanks for the tip!

Many of my friends live in Bali permanently... I've reached-out to ask them.

I remember when they bought in the rule making SIM cards stop working after 30 days.

It was chaos, until the process for extending them was standardised.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.