iPhone XS Dual Sim practicality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsusser, Dec 13, 2018.

1. gsusser macrumors 6502

Help! And apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge on the subject. I need to make a decision today about a second line with my iPhone XS. I lost my business phone yesterday and need to either replace it or get or wait for dual SIM.
    My first question is if having a dual SIM in the first place is a viable alternative to 2 phones.
    Second, I am currently using T-Mobile in my XS. My company uses Verizon though I never got my business phone set up with Verizon much to my company's chagrin. If I went with the dual sim option, I would need to get on my company Verizon plan with the second line. Is it feasible to have a company plan on one line and a personal plan with another company on another?
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

You can use both the numbers with different plans and service providers. Just remember that you can use only one line for data connection and apps like WhatsApp / other third party messaging service uses only 1 number at present per device.

3. bendikha macrumors newbie

bendikha

This is true, but if you are brave enough you can sideload another version of Whatsapp from a site such as AppValley and use one app for each number.

4. prithvi64 macrumors member

As such no issue with both sims working. Yes, this is limitation that one data could be used at a time.
    I am curious to know how to use two whatsApp. Is it secured enough.

5. bendikha macrumors newbie

bendikha

What I can say is that apps sideloaded onto your devices have not gone through Apples approval process, so you would have do trust the developer/the site providing the app.

6. 0970373 Suspended

This really depends on if your company’s policy will allow it. Their IT dept may have security protocols & restrictions which is why many issue their own devices rather than just paying for service outright or allowing employees to expense it. Talk to IT. If they say it’s OK, Verizon would need to be on the eSIM as TMO doesn’t yet have eSIM available though they may soon.

If you wait for TMO’s eSIM you could probably just get a company line & phone and then pop the Verizon SIM in which would be easier, IMO. But again, check w/ IT if they would allow a company SIM in a personal device.

7. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Not really the original developers. Side loaded apps, at least on the AppStore are repackaged to sign with distribution profiles which means a third party has meddled around with the apps. I’ll stay clear from any non official source of application.

8. dmccombs macrumors regular

You are correct that T-mobile doesn't officially offer their E-Sim setup yet, but a lot of have gotten it setup already. I had a physical sim card through t-mobile. I got on the tmobile website chat and they switched me over in about 10 minutes. The OP can try this now if they really want T-Mobile on e-sim.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I keep a separate work phone, computer, etc. because I want to keep my work and personal stuff separate. I use dual SIM to keep my US and China number on one phone.