Dual SSD for Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icemantx, Aug 7, 2013.

1. icemantx macrumors regular

I have a Fusion setup in my early 2009 iMac with a 2TB WD Black HDD fused to a 256GB Crucial M4 in the Optical Bay.

Performace is definitely better than the HDD only setup I had previously, but still has me looking for better performance especially in iPhoto.

Would removing the 2TB HDD and replacing it with a 960GB SSD to then create a new dual SSD Fusion drive (keep 256 Crucial M4 in Optical Bay) make any sense or make any performance difference from the HDD/SD Fusion setup I have now?

I have about 40k photos in iPhoto and launching, importing, closing and sometimes moving between photos is sluggish. How much of the performance issue is HDD vs Processor I am not sure.

With only SATA II in my iMac, having a complete SSD setup makes me question the value for my issue ($591 for a Crucial M500 960GB SSD or $377 for 512GB).

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Bear macrumors G3

Making that into a fusion setup would only create extra over head and not speed anything up. Use the SSDs independently if you decide to replace the HD with another SSD.

3. tanker5 macrumors member

I was under the impression that OS X wouldn't allow you to fuse 2 ssd drives together, only one ssd and an hd drive. If you were going for a dual ssd config, why not just get 2 identical drives and set it up in a raid-0 config??

4. icemantx thread starter macrumors regular

5. Bear macrumors G3

It might be worth saving up for a new iMac. A new processor will be noticeably faster.

6. icemantx thread starter macrumors regular

I am tending to agree. What I am not sure of is that if I buy a new Mac, should be it an iMac, MacBook Retina or MacBook Air. Computing has changed a lot since early 2009 when I bought this iMac and with the advent if iPad and iPhones, the uses of the desktop of Mac OS X based computer are fewer than before.

7. Bear macrumors G3

I find the larger screens of the iMac better for working on photos. It all depends on what else you want to us ethe Mac for.

8. Nuke61 macrumors 6502

Particularly since new portable Macs make it easy to hook it up to a large desktop display via Thunderbolt.