Dual SSD Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gab0.1992, Dec 3, 2014.

1. gab0.1992 macrumors member

Hi I currently have a 2013 iMac with 256GB pciE SSD and few weeks ago I added a 3TB HDD to create a custom Fusion Drive. Have been work great and yes I sacrifice few hundreds MBs for the space. Since I don't need to much space I was wondering if I can create a fusion with a 512gb or 1tb sata SSD like the samsung 840 with the apple SSD. I still not get fastest speeds like pciE SSD alone but will be faster in theory since it will be storing the data in another SSD instead in the hard drive.

I was wondering if someone already did and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

There would be no real point "fusing" the two drives, however you could create a Raid 0 array.

I have 2 SSDs and a HDD in my 2011 iMac, with the SSDs in software raid 0. It's been going strong for a while now, and is faster than the current PCI-e SSDs.

3. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Makes really sense, but the only issue is that the apple ssd is 256gb and ill like it will be 512gb so making both 1tb. Ill take number and pros/cons and see what I can do. Thanks!

4. henriquede81 macrumors member

It makes total sense to me, this is the reason why I went for the 1Tb Fusion instead the pciE ssd only version, because the sata socket is available and changing the hdd for a sata ssd would be times cheaper/easier to do without compromising the system global performance.

The pciE ssd prices that Apple ask you to pay and the missing sata socket, in the case you decide to buy a non-fusion iMac, makes in my opinion this as a no-brain decision: Fusion please!

5. gab0.1992 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks sir! I Should I thought this way when ordered mine but my idea was to later change de ssd for a larger capacity but the cost for used PCIe ssd are very expensive.

I have been researching fm for the raid 1 option but it will not work because since the drives are differents speeds the raid will use the slower speed one from the sata ssd so I'll miss the fastest speed plus capacity vs of I made a 1tb ssd plus the 256gb apple ssd fusion I'll get faster speed plus the capacity not all the way up to 800+mbs but much of what I already have with the HDD.

I'll keep in touch.