DUAL SSD in 2007 MBP 1,3 - How to avoid pitfalls?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boukisan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. boukisan macrumors newbie

This is only in reference to late 2007 Santa Rosa 17" MBP build 1,3 with 2.4ghz processor and 1.5 SATA. I'm specifically speaking to those who have experience (vicarious or direct) that can answer these questions. If you can't answer the questions, then I'm not asking you for an answer.

Background: I have been searching for hours for solid answers to these specific questions, so I think it merits a new thread. (I get close, but the answers are always for other models/specs. Instinct tells me to go further.) I need to get two drives into my MBP, one for programs, the others for files. I plan on installing OCZ Vertex 30GB and 120GB.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to do exactly what is mentioned above without having the stutter/sleep issues I'm reading about? What are the key factors in doing this properly?

2. Optical caddies - these are cheap, but I don't know which one would fit my machine:
    http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=5c186d39fc084ead0e472166ba93da59

2b.Alternatively, I could do a more refined version of this: (sans twist connector)
    http://thingsthatmademegowtf.blogspot.com/2009/08/adventure-in-voiding-my-macbook-pros.html

3. Will I have to install firmware updates to the Vertex via my PC, or has that weirdness passed?

4. How does Snow Leopard play with SSD?

5. Where are we with TRIM for OS X?

I'm posting this same thread at OCZ as well.

Feel free to paste in ilnks, although actual answers are preferred. I am sure there's thousands of us who want our aging wrist saunas to go faster and hold more data in their sunset months. That's why I created this thread.

Many thanks for your answers. I've been using this site as a resource for years, and many a time has it saved my a$$. (This is the first time I've ever felt the need to post a thread.)

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I realise this is resurrecting a long dead thread, but I was in the same situation and I couldn't find info, so I'm pasting all my info here, hoping that it helps.

1) from my primary research it seems to affect you more depending on where you place the SSD. Those who place it in the optical bay seem to have more problems. The stock answer seems to be disable safe sleep. The only issue with having a larger mechanical HD in the optical bay is you don't get the safety of the sudden motion sensor. I'm willing to risk it as I backup regularly.

2) I bought a caddy from the US on eBay. What you need is a PATA caddy. If I had spotted it I would have bought the cheaper one from eBay China. Never really had a problem ordering from china.

2b) That type of cable wont work with our Macs. Or any pre-unibody as they have older PATA connections to the optical drive.

3) I believe they must still be dont from Windows. But how often does new firmware come out? Haven't tried it but I don't see why you couldn't do this in Boot Camp.

4) Again, I'll be able to tell you more when my SSD and caddy arrive, but I believe it works well, and doesn't seem to degrade from lack of TRIM like others.

5) Trim will be supported in 10.7 Lion.

If you notice this thread and have further answers from your OCZ thread, I'd be delighted to know.

Damn nearly forgot - here's an identical setup to yours
    http://blog.gtuhl.com/2009/03/26/ocz-vertex-ssd-in-a-17-santa-rosa-macbook-pro/